Disaster Recovery server license?

edla

Verified User
Hi there, can I purchase or otherwise be provisioned licenses for a disaster recovery scenario?

I have two DA servers. If one or both go down, I plan on spinning up an Amazon EC2 instance, restore the files, transfer DNS, and be back in business quickly. The only issue is that the IP address for the DA license would need to change and from what I understand that might not be possible at 2 or 3AM (when a failover over may occur).

Thanks for thinking about this for me.

The only issue is that the IP address for the DA license would need to change and from what I understand that might not be possible at 2 or 3AM (when a failover over may occur).

Why not? Just login to your account and change the ip for the license.

Floyd.. is this possible for normal licenses ? i know us who have internal licensing and have got that option enabled but i dont think normal licensing supports that.

iceuk626 you know I don't know. I had not considered that it might be just for internal licensing.

Its not even standard for internal licensing.

Wow I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I just thought it was a new feature since a lot of people had been requesting it for a long time. Maybe its only for people who have a lot of licenses. Back in July when requesting a change Mark emailed me back told me I could do it from my account now. I didn't know I was "special."

So back to the original question: edla could you just assign the same ip's to the new server? You need to be able assign the same ip's for the DNS servers to the new server or else you will have to change them at the registrar which will take even longer that waiting for the license change.

So back to the original question: edla could you just assign the same ip's to the new server?
You'd have to work with your provider to forward the IP#s to Amazon, and with Amazon to use the IP#s for your EC2 instances. I don't think either is going to be readily doable.
change them at the registrar which will take even longer that waiting for the license change.
Not necessarily. The only thing you have to change is the IP#s of the nameservers at the root servers. While there's still up to 72 hours limit for those who've already got the information cached, with most domain registrars for nameservers ending in .com or .net, changes on the root servers themselves take place quickly.
edla said:
can I purchase or otherwise be provisioned licenses for a disaster recovery scenario?
Check with DirectAdmin Sales.

Jeff

Back