Licence for private networks

compare

Verified User
Hi,

As far as I know it is not possible to install DirectAdmin on a private network.
Is that because it have to connect to the "open" internet? Or is it not possible because we can't create a license for private networks?

I don't want to mess with my "production" DA's too much, but I absolutly want to put extra functions in DA, like ClamAV and OpenCms (+Java+Tomcat)
So therefor I want to use a VM to test it before i use it on Production.

Any other idea's to create a test envoirement?

Thanks,
Maurice van 't Loo
The Netherlands

Directadmin requires a internet routable ip address on the machine you plan on installing it on.

You mean DA "talks back" to the server where i want to install the binaries?
Is that the ip-address what is in the license file? Does that mean i can use a routable ip-address in the license file, but not use this address on the VM?

(reason is that the VM is behind a NAT-firewall with a single ip-address)

There is another option with minimum cost..

We have several clients that have VM's with us that just use them for dev purposes. We lease them a directadmin license for pratically cost price to us with a basic vps plan.

Example: DA license £4.50 + £4.99 Small VPS /month ($15 USD)

compare,

DirectAdmin only runs on the IP# for which it's licensed. Since it runs it's interface on it's own webserver, it only listens on the IP# in the license.

Jeff

Yes you can install it but did you actually try adding hosts and stuff. I honestly think it is more hassle then its worth. Why would someone be putting directadmin on a network where public ips are not available?

you actually try adding hosts and stuff

Of course. And if I port forward port 80 on my router I will be able to see the web sites. Of course I would have to use an outside dns server to direct the domains to the router ip.

Why would

I don't care why.

For test envoirement it is not a problem.
It is for testing extra software on DA, like ClamAV and OpenCms (+java and tomcat) BEFORE installing it on the live server(s)

So i don't need (and don't want) to host live sites on this server. So I'm very happy with Floyd's answer :)

Extra question: Is the public IP address only needed at first install? Or do you need it later too? My public IP address is not a fixed one, so after a day it could be changed and of course I can't change the licence every day.

Thanks,
Maurice

I edited my post a little. I used an internal lifetime license.

Is the public IP address only needed at first install?
No it is needed for DA to run. That is why I set it up on eth0:0 and edited the conf file. Even if the public ip on the router changes, DA will still run because it is only looking at the ip on the server on which it is running.

Now the part I don't know about is if you are using a monthly license it probably will not work for very long if the public router ip changes. From what I understand DA checks the license server every month to make sure the license is still valid. And if the ip changes you will not be able to get updates.

I was thinking about taking a lifetime license for it.
And maybe it is better to install Xen on one of the production servers and run the testserver over there. Then I can use it like a "normal" server..... and if someone hacks the server, it just a matter of replacing the image....

Thanks for the help on this one.

Back