FreeBsd 6.3 to 7.0 upgrade tested by anyone?

tsiou

Verified User
Hi, has anyone tested the freebsd's how to upgrade from 6.x to 7.0?
Are there any changes where we should pay attention?
Any tips?

I didnt like freebsd 7.0 I thought it ran resources harder then 6.3. I ended up rolling back to 6.3.

But as people say it's better in many things like smp, memory support & handling, filesystem management etc...
In which cases you find it worst?
Were you checking the performance with the same services by top, load etc?

I'm using freebsd 7 on different boxes and it looks fine. The resources usage is such as in releng 6. After default installation freebsd has nearly 10-15m active memory.

Of course releng 4 was the best in case of resource usage and performance but it's not supported yet.

I run a few DA boxes on freebsd 7 but all these boxes were installed with 7 on the installation.

I expect the procedure is pretty much the same as going from 5.x to 6.x which I have done many times.

To minimise potential problems do the following.

Recompile all ports if you going to wipe old 6.x specific libs from the base system. Then wipe the libs after.
Install compat6x port.

Directadmin and its dependencies apache etc. all should work, ideally tho you should then chance the freebsd licence to 7.0 and force a DA upgrade, and recompile all the dependencies like apache, php, curl etc so they all linked to the 7.x libraries instead of older 6.x ones.

7.x is defenitly faster than 6.x and can handle heavier sites better, especially when you utilise the ULE scheduler on multi core systems. ULE will be default in FreeBSD 7.1.

I did upgrade from 6.2 to 7.0 with no problems trough freebsd-update tool. Go for it - it's really painless and fluent (at least on my end heh)... I did it trough SSH.

Back