Redhat 9.0...when?

travisbell

Verified User
I know this has been brought up once or twice, but I was just wondering your timeline on getting full support for RedHat 9.0.

We are just preping a whole new line of dedicated servers and are looking at making DirecAdmin the default (and favourable) choice but we need some of the RAID support that Redhat 9.0 has to offer.

Thanks!

riding on the horns of a dilemma

Gentlemen...

We are on the horns of a dilemma...

All Red Hat support and RHN up2date service (including critical security updates) will cease for all versions of RHL through RHL8 as of the end of this year, and all of the same will cease for RH9 before the end of next year.

Red Hat has announced that they will produce new whole-version numbers each year and that up2date support (including critical security updates) will last one year from product introduction.

Then more recently they announced that they'll no longer produce Red Hat Linux retail product at all.

My next guess is that at some time in the near future (within a year) they'll realize that without the (admittedly relatively small) income stream from boxed packages, they've got no reason to actually even create whole-number releases.

If they should do that, then they'll end up with a formalized version of what they're currently putting into place: RHL "free" versions as an ongoing beta for their expensive Advanced product line.

Since none of us want to pay upwards of us$1,000 for Red Hat Linux (especially not those of us who have lots of systems), that leaves us in an environment that's getting harder to support every day.

(Most of the hosting companies I'm familiar with have been quite happy with either RHL 6.2 or RHL 7.3, depending on when their systems were installed, and some of us are already a half-year into the dismal future, depending on catch-as-catch-can security support.)

How do we get off from these horns?

My suggestion would be Free BSD.

Gentlemen (Mark and John),

Are you working on support for Free BSD?

How quickly ;) ?

Jeff

Re: riding on the horns of a dilemma

jlasman said:
Since none of us want to pay upwards of us$1,000 for Red Hat Linux (especially not those of us who have lots of systems), that leaves us in an environment that's getting harder to support every day.

I bought RH ES for $349 off their site and that covers 1 year maintenance and 90 day support.
Now I am not saying that it is the right option other than FreeBSD, but it really is not that expensive.
I had asked in another post if RH ES is supported.

Re: Re: riding on the horns of a dilemma

nomad71 said:
I bought RH ES for $349 off their site and that covers 1 year maintenance and 90 day support.
Pardon my pessimism, but it sounds like you paid for something not much different than they used to give for free (a download), plus the same amount of support you used to get free when you bought a boxed package for $40, plus a year's membership to RHN they sell for $60.

And if you look carefully at the license, you'll find you've agreed that you can only load it on to one machine, and that they can walk into your premises any time to verify that you're obeying the terms of the license. Unless they've changed the license since the last time I've read it, you'll also find that you've agreed to keep paying the same amount every year if you continue to use it.

All that for what in effect is open-source software.

I haven't asked him, but I don't think Richard Stalman is too happy with their new license and their new product.

Now I am not saying that it is the right option other than FreeBSD, but it really is not that expensive.
As a one-time purchase I'd agree with you; for a continuing commitment on a per machine basis, I think it is. YMMV.

I had asked in another post if RH ES is supported.
Did you get an official response from DirectAdmin? If so please point me to it, as I've never seen anything from DirectAdmin that says they're supporting ES.

Thanks.

Jeff

RedHat ES? Never tried it. Although it *may* work.. I really havn't a clue if it will... thus we probably won't officially support it.

Redhat 9.0 took me about 2 days to add, since for all purposes related to DirectAdmin, it's the exact same as the other RedHat releases. It's in beta at the momment, but will probably only stay there for a few weeks: havn't really found anything wrong with it yet.

FreeBSD hasn't been touched for a few weeks now.. it *is*moving forward, its running and probably about 85% done, it's just the installer and external things such as that which need to be looked at. Can't really give out any dates for its release, as things come up that need to be addressed right away.

John

The cost of open source...

As a one-time purchase I'd agree with you; for a continuing commitment on a per machine basis, I think it is.
I just wanted to add that at our colo facility my colo partner and I host a total of over fifty systems. Can you see us paying $17,450 per year in license fees for open source software? Well, maybe you can. But I can't.

I've paid for open source projects, in fact I've paid for plenty of them. Before Red Hat become so "money hungry" I used to buy one copy of Red Hat Professional every version they brought out, just to suppor them. When they started charging for formerly free update service (RHN), and I had to pay them $60/year per system, I stopped buying the packages, since I could download the software at no charge.

Now I can't even do that; if you go to the Red Hat site (http://www.redhat.com/) you'll see that you now have to belong to RHN to download the ISOs.

Red Hat is changing their model rapidly; in my opinion they're doing to their market what Microsoft couldn't do.

I understand why the port to FreeBSD can't go as quickly as I'd like, but I urge Mark and John to bring it out as quickly as they can, while at the same time focusing on quality and integrity.

Jeff

Now I can't even do that; if you go to the Red Hat site (http://www.redhat.com/) you'll see that you now have to belong to RHN to download the ISOs.

I was able to DL the ISOs using my browser but for some reasone not with my FTP software. I downloaded 7.3 not long ago and verified that it works. http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

The .gov sites seemed to be the fastest for me.
BTW I didn't belong to RHN

-Jason

You can always just go to google and search for:

redhat 9.0 iso

and you'll get a few servers that offer the iso's. You'll have to be sure to get all the cd's from that one server, but it's another alternative.

John

With all the stuff RedHat has been pulling with licensing.. And now the price hikes.. And EOLs... I'm seriously looking at Debian as my default installation operating system on servers...

I'm doing the OS on a billing server I'll be using with Debian and so far.. Its a god send compared to RH :D

I'm also quite interested in Debian, but most of the webhost server administration packages appear to be interested in supporting FreeBSD, and only a few any other versions of Linux besides Red Hat.

I'm not "religious" about operating systems; only a tool-user. Most current tools work on either FreeBSD or RHL 7.3.

I looked at Debian rather late in the game when creating my latest Linux office desktop system.

I stuck with RHL9 for that one, and I'm finally learning how to use it.

And I'll probably always have an RHL7.2, as it looks as if Borland isn't going to upgrade Kylix for anything else (at least in our lifetimes :mad: ), but I'd like to have Debian desktop to play with as well.

(I currently have ISOs for all recent RH distributions, >= 7.0, for Mandrake > = 9.0, and a few others as well.)

I should have ordered the Debian CDs from www.cheapbytes.com some time ago; p... companies look for, it isn't :(. Jeff Jeff

Back