redhat 9, static ip

davew

Verified User
Hi, First post here.
I got RoadRunner biz class few days ago for my persoanl sites. And I got the DirectAdmin Leased to put on the server. When I installed the OS I set it to pull ip from DHCP (router). Now when I try to install DA its seeing the 192 ip. What I need to find out if I can go into a config file somewhere to set it to the static ip that I got from RR to finish the install. WHat I am going to do is take out the router. My cable modem has 4 ports out, LAN1 LAN2 LAN3 LAN4 etc...What I did was purchase another static from RR for my second computer (the one I am on now) and also used the second IP as the ns2 nameserver setup. Both ns1/ns2 are now tracable and ping to the new ip's.
Anybody have any advice on this? Should I just reinstall RH9 and set the static through the install or is there a way to shell into the box and do this?
OR
Is there a way to have the router spit the ip to the box?
D-Link Dl-604
Cable modem ZyXEL Prestige 900 Series.
All the help would be great.
-Dave

Hello,

You must have the static IP that is visible on the net to be *on* the server itself. The device has to be bound to the license ip, not a 192.168 address. If your cable modem only provides 192.168 addresses, then it won't work. You'd need a different cable modem that gives you the actual IP that your cable company is assigning you for your connection.

John

Thank You for your quick follow up.
I have ran the command netconfig and set the static through the modem itself. Its not throwing the 192 ip anymore. So, thats a plus.
Now when I go to do the install the domain files.directadmin.com
wont resolve. I tired to ping it and nothing.
-----
Just got this to...
just tried to ping yahoo.com through shell and didnt resolv.
I may have to go mess with the resolv.conf file.
-----
hehe this is sooooooooooooooo fun. ;)

pico'd resolv.conf and set nameservers on two lines for my isp's servers they gave me.
DA is now installing :D
Thanks again John

-Dave

Back