Move a User??

Two_A_T

Verified User
Ok..

A user that is currently under one of my resellers is going to become a reseller himself directly under admin (me).

Is there any way to just move his account and upgrade it without having to create an entirely new one?

He's hoping to avoid any down time while changes propogate if at all possible. The only thing I can think of would be him creating an exact copy of his existing site under a new account so there would be no visible down but if his account can be just "moved over" then upgraded that would be better for him.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

With the object oriented design of DirectAdmin, when we decide to implement the "ugrade user" feature, it shouldn't be too difficult. Since a Reseller "is-a" User, simply changing that users user.conf file to show
Code:
usertype=reseller
creator=(someadmin)
should automatically create some of the required files.... now this hasn't been tested, and changes to other files would be required:

add reseller to:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/reseller.list

remove user from:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/reseller/users.list

create:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/packages/
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/packages.list
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/ip.list

** Note that this is a HACK and should only be attempted if you are desperate, or are willing to figure out why things are missing :)
Keep an eye on /var/log/directadmin/error.log for possible missing files. The rest of the files you may notice might be missing in the users directory for reseller data should be created automatically... but it's not yet a feature, so I'm not sure what's missing... use at your own risk :)

John

Thanks John!

Maybe I'll get someone to help me with all of that. *IF* I feel brave LOL

I already asked Mark to put it down but maybe add a feature for this in future releases? I can see it as a somewhat common situation... one of your reseller's users decides to become a reseller him/herself.

Not a major issue right now though!

Thanks again!

This might work? What do you think DA support?

1. Backup all of the users data with the backup utility.
2. Create a new reseller
3. Then upload the archive to the new account and restore it on the new account.

Would that work?
You could probobly even try it on a test reseller account to see what happens before you delete the users account from your system. But I am not sure because you would have all those e-mail and perhaps mysql user names which may conflict?

-Jason

That would depend on if the backup feature backuped up everything, that includes email accounts, configs (if they have been changed by any chnace) cron jobs (if they have been setup), mysql and everything else that the user has done.

I would follow what John suggested, if you need any help with it give me a shout (you know my contact details ;) ) and i will try to talk you through it (using John's instructions :) )

// Suggestion

If reseller accounts still require a domain to be setup (the reseller is a domain) can admins have the ability to make resellers without the reseller being a domain, then when admins need to do what two-a-t is doing now (move a site on 1 reseller to another reseller).. they just "edit" the site and select the new reseller......

Chris

Back