backup option?

sander815

Verified User
is the backup option also available in the reseller cp?
i don't see it in the online demo

The backup is only in the user panel.
So if you are a reseller or even the admin you would just use the user panel backup utillity to backup your domain.

A reseller has both a reseller panel and user panel but you only need one login to access both at the same time. Ther is a link in the control panel.

Hope that helps -Jason

How about a reseller who wants to backup all his client's domains. Shouldn't there be an automated way to do that?

Jeff

Your users have the ability to backup everything in there domain themselves.
Just like when admins had to create e-mail account for there useres now they can do it them selves.

Here is a great book in pdf format which you can download.
It will teach you how to make automated backups on your sever and lots of other security and optimization info.

Securing & Optimizing Linux: Red Hat Edition v1.3

Jason

That's a great book, Jason.

Just so you know, I've been backing up Linux since 1994 :) . I used a slackware distribution based on Linux kernel v.0.99 (I still have the cd somewhere; the cd included multiple floppy-disk images) to run what may have been the first webhosting company; certainly one of the first.

But...

Others are not as good systems administration as you and I; they'd benefit from clicking on one button to create a tar file of the appropriate directories (John could set up a default but there could be a "setup" area where people could modify the selection), and then send only the changes (via rsync) to a selected offsite server.

We've included such a service for clients who rent systems for us for several years now, and they seem to appreciate it. We're beginning to offer offsite backup as a separate service, but I'd like to see the functionality automated in DirectAdmin simply to help make DirectAdmin the best of the control panels :).

Jeff

Is nice as a webhost provider you can offer your clients backups of their site, think this is an ace option if it was implemented

Backups

Is ther a way to backup client account info, not the actual content of their sites, but the account info i set up as a reseller eg my packeges, user accounts etc??

Many Thanks

JC

There is no feature to do that, but all of the user settings are stored in:

/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/*

all user setting, limits, domain settings and what not, are all there.

I'm not sure if you have access to that, as you would need root.

John

Could i please make a request that this a this feature is considered for resellers sometime in a future release of DA. From recent experience I (personally) feel that this would be a valuable option.

thanks

Jcalvert

I agree, a reseller backup feature would rock ! Even if it just backs up the core information, so in the even of a crash it can easily piece it all back together, now an admin one that puts all the resellers and user accounts back in place would rule :)

Something a rival control panel does not have is a full recovery feature to restore resellers, its gotta be done manually!. Also, hows about backups to the second hdd ?

There are at least two hosting solutions that do offer it:

Sun Cobalt servers have the CMU (Cobalt Migration utility) which was written for server migration between servers. There's also a script called raqbackup.sh that calls CMU to create a complete backup. We run it weekly on all our RaQ servers, and daily on some (under contract).

Plesk PSA has had it since at least version 2.5. It's called the Plesk Migration Utility.

We've successfully used it as well, to migrate between Plesk servers.

Jeff

Such a feature would surely be very appreciated. Especially the admin global backup which would include everything would be awsome!

The ultimate feature would be for a button on the admin and reseller pages, that allows you to download the small config files, so in the event of a FULL re-install you just re-upload this file, and bang admin puts everything back, reseller puts all clients back etc, then clients can upload their own backups

The ultimate would have to allow me, the admin, to backup the entire server.

Not that I wouldn't like to have a "backup button" for resellers, but what sounds better in your advertising:

"Nightly backup included"

or

"We allow you to backup your sites"

??? :)

Jeff

Hello,

All sorts of backup goodies are planned for the future. At the momment I'm trying to finish up FreeBSD so that we don't have to keep saying "We'll do that after FreeBSD" :)

John

Any word on this yet? I had to restore for a client from a manual backup and it was a nightmare!

You need to have the data and in addition reset permissions on all of the files, create the users or just copy the passwd and group files...

Not fun at all! :rolleyes:

-Robert

Anybody out there?

This is a serious issue. I have many VDS customers that use this software and have no way to restore or backup properly, at least in an automated fasion.

Does nobody else care about this feature?

-Robert

Back