After conversion mailbox links are gone?

Icheb

Verified User
One of the most complex sites I have has been converted into Dovecot a while back, I did this by creating a backup from reseller level and importing it on a server which was already installed as Dovecot. The increased speed is great, however there's something that troubles me.

I 'dir' structure in the imap used to be something like (for the 'main user')
Code:
Inbox
  | trash
  | some other folders
Concepts
Sent items
icheb.info
  | pop3 box 1
  | pop3 box 2
  | pop3 box 3

So, the system user was able to read mail from all mailboxes within the domain.
After the conversion, this seemed to have disappeared.
So, the tree 'icheb.info' is just no longer visible.

Does anyone might have an idea on how to restore that older behavior?
My guess is there should be symlinks somewhere, however, I have no clue on where exactly.

Under what system did you have such a tree?

With DirectAdmin and mbox the site user's email inbox was stored in /var/spool/mail/usernamefile, while the virtual mailboxes were all in /var/spool/virtual/domainname/usernamefile.

So I'm a bit confused.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Jeff

I do not know if this is related but my direct admin mail links are gone too

It was just DA with vm-pop3d / (wu-?)imapd, but for some unforeseen reason such a 'tree' was created while running the old imapd.
But due to the fact I believe it to be something no one took into account, which I started using a couple of years back, now, I'm missing the feature.

Come to think of it, would there be no way on how to recreate such a tree using symlinks and Dovecot? - My MailDir knowhow is a 'bit' rusty, but it should be possible to symlink each domains pop3 boxes to a domainname inside the main users MailDir, shouldn't it?

jnet: are we talking about the same links here?

After testing some symlinks I came up with the following to 'mimic' the older feature, however, I've got no way to automate this, and well, doing it manually kinda sucks.

Code:
cd /home/icheb/Maildir
sudo -u icheb bash # I was logged in as root ;)
mkdir .icheb_info
ln -s /home/icheb/imap/icheb.info/asterisk/Maildir/ .icheb_info.asterisk
ln -s /home/icheb/imap/icheb.info/hro/Maildir/ .icheb_info.hro

I hope this will give you an idea of what I mean exactly.

Back