Using RAID as a backup solution?

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
This story actually brings tears to my eyes...

And then, this.

If they'd only allowed robots at the top level a lot of the blogs would not have been lost forever (they allowed their users to decide whether or not to allow robots but without allowing robots at the top level they couldn't rebuild their own database from archived data).

(Note that we do use RAID. We also use backups. We backup all data on
all servers according to a schedule agreed upon by us and those who
rent from us.)

Jeff

Yeah RAID1 is NOT a backup solution as much as it is a high availability solution. It mainly for harddrive failure not accidental or deliberate data loss since the act would affect both drives. Something to keep in mind.

RAID is for data integrity, not backup. Some people just don't get this. Even if you have RAID, making an actual backup of the data every once in awhile is essential, especially if the data is that important to you. RAID being a backup solution is like Windows only keeping system restore points from within the past minute. That's not far back to really restore you from ANYTHING that happens. It's useless.

Last edited:
Just like floyd said, RAID is a high availability solution. It can be extremely useful in preventing any downtime (and the time involved in recovery) when a drive (or drives) fail, but it is absolutely not a backup solution.

It can also save lots of money by allowing the use of multiple fairly cheap drives versus fewer enterprise grade drives (when performance is not paramount). However, I've seen a couple instances of even RAID controllers failing, and then you can't count on anything. And, as Jeff's link shows, it certainly can't prevent problems that have nothing to do with drive failures.

It can also save lots of money by allowing the use of multiple fairly cheap drives versus fewer enterprise grade drives (when performance is not paramount).
When RAID first came out that in fact was it's primary purpose; the acronym actually means Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, thou later many people replaced the word Inexpensive with Independent.

The Wikipedia article may be found here.

Jeff

This story actually brings tears to my eyes...

And then, this.

If they'd only allowed robots at the top level a lot of the blogs would not have been lost forever (they allowed their users to decide whether or not to allow robots but without allowing robots at the top level they couldn't rebuild their own database from archived data).

(Note that we do use RAID. We also use backups. We backup all data on
all servers according to a schedule agreed upon by us and those who
rent from us.)

Jeff
If the only allowed robots for web archive would that really help?
how can allowing web archive indexing my site help me with database restore?
I might be able to get some html or images but database?
Can you please explain?

thank

The web content that is archived would have come from the database.

And to explain further; it would have allowed the blog owner to create read-only versions of his old posts on his new site.

Jeff

They deserve it for making no backups and relying on raid only. I never been to that site and have no clue what it was. But you would think once your site grows popular you would want to make sure you have no dataloss and preventions just incase something does happen. At work I run several servers in raid-5 across several discs and I still make daily backups of all information.

Back