Updating Debian

Netbone

Verified User
Is it possible to update debian and all packages with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade when directadmin is installed?

You can use apt-get to update all packages managed by apt-get. Many packages are not managed by apt-get, but rather by either customapache or custombuild, depending on how you've installed DirectAdmin. If you attempt to update those using apt-get one of two things will happen:

Either they won't get updated, or they'll get reinstalled over the DirectAdmin packages and break your server, depending on whether or not apt-get is set to exclude those.

Jeff

Either they won't get updated, or they'll get reinstalled over the DirectAdmin packages and break your server, depending on whether or not apt-get is set to exclude those.
Jeff

Hey jeff, i'm in same situation ...
I got a server hacked last evening, (first time in 4 years), and i managed to purge system correctly, greppin all date modified files, and check system security and integrity... (just had 14 hours to loose, and fortunately only 3 problems to solve : An irC Bot, a sniffer, and most of all 2 rootkits...)

At a moment i had to reinstall packages to shove off those rootkits (via apt-get install --reinstall, which dit the trick), but an apt-get upgrade gives me following list of files to upgrade :

apache-common *
apache2-utils *
bind9 *
bind9-host *
bsdutils
clamav-data *
cpio
debconf
debconf-i18n
dnsutils
dpkg
dselect
e2fslibs
e2fsprogs
findutils
grub
initscripts
libapache-mod-php4 *
libbind9-0 *
libblkid1
libcomerr2
libdns22
libfreetype6
libgd2-xpm
libgnutls13
libisc11
libisccc0
libisccfg1
libkrb53
liblwres9
libmysqlclient15off *
libpam-modules
libpam-runtime
libpam0g
libpcre3
libperl-dev
libperl5.8
libpq4
libss2
libssl-dev
libssl0.9.7
libssl0.9.8
libuuid1
libxml2
locales
login
mount
mysql-common *
ntp
ntp-simple
ntpdate
openssl
passwd
perl
perl-base
perl-doc
perl-modules
php4-common *
php4-gd *
proftpd *
ssh *
sysv-rc
sysvinit
sysvinit-utils
tar
tzdata
unzip
util-linux

Files with '*' are those that worry me and for which i believe DA interacts with...Is it safe to upgrade them ??? How do i know they get deselected from apt-get filesystem, if it's not safe....

Any advice would be welcome from directadmin's staff...

Yours...

PS : Jeff Have you hade time to see for exim.conf files regarding this thread :
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21328

Updating Debian Server

You can use apt-get to update all packages managed by apt-get. Many packages are not managed by apt-get, but rather by either customapache or custombuild, depending on how you've installed DirectAdmin. If you attempt to update those using apt-get one of two things will happen:

Jeff

Hi Chief. This is what I thought by myself. But I need to keep system up to date. So here is a list what apt-get update want to do:

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-image-2.6-686 openssh-client openssh-server proftpd
The following packages will be upgraded:
bind9 bind9-host bsdutils cpio debconf debconf-i18n dnsutils dpkg dselect
e2fslibs e2fsprogs findutils grub initramfs-tools initscripts klibc-utils
libbind9-0 libblkid1 libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libcomerr2 libdns22
libgnutls13 libisc11 libisccc0 libisccfg1 libklibc libkrb53 liblwres9
libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libpcre3 libperl-dev libperl5.8
libss2 libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 libuuid1 libxml2 libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev
libxslt1.1 linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 locales login mount mtr-tiny openssl
passwd perl perl-base perl-modules python2.4 python2.4-minimal reportbug
selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted ssh sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils tar
tk8.4 tzdata util-linux
66 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 62.2MB of archives.
After unpacking 15.4kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Can I do this?

If not - how keeping DA-servers up to date?

Thanks
Susi

OS update

It is quite important to know if this works or not and how to get OS up2date, because we are thinking of using DA on other servers or using other webpanel. The only problem with DA seems to be that the basic OS is not up2date and there is no way to update it.

I have never had a problem managing Debian with apt (or aptitude) and running DirectAdmin. All you need to do is be careful about apps with dependencies that might try to install over DirectAdmin managed apps.

If you always do a "trial run" of the apt command first you can see what it wants to do and adjust the command if it looks like it will conflict with a DirectAdmin managed app.

It is true that Debian's package management could use some better options for marking certain apps to be withheld or never installed and that would make things a lot easier. There is supposed to be an option to hold a package, but this seems to only apply to packages already installed, and I eventually gave up on finding a way to truly block installs or updates of specific apps. Gentoo has a very easy way to do this, so we can hope Debian will eventually get there...

As long as you're careful you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't use DirectAdmin with Debian, and I therefore I don't try to make decisions. Depending on what apt-get is set to install (I don't go through long lists such as the one at the top of this thread), but if you exclude the same packages as in the yum.conf exclude line discussed many times in these forums, you should be okay (but I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK YOUR SERVER).

tdldp, I'm now very far behind in work and have NOT looked again at that thread.

Jeff

I don't use DirectAdmin with Debian, and I therefore I don't try to make decisions. Depending on what apt-get is set to install (I don't go through long lists such as the one at the top of this thread), but if you exclude the same packages as in the yum.conf exclude line discussed many times in these forums, you should be okay (but I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK YOUR SERVER).

tdldp, I'm now very far behind in work and have NOT looked again at that thread.

Jeff

To Jeff :
Thks jeff for your answer...
Anyway, i know you are not that available, and i can understand it... ;)
When you get time to get on it... please let me know by pm

To all :
For general interest, where can we know Directadmin dependant packages list... I mean what are app we need in everycase to protect as DA dependant ???

Tdldp

Back