Setting up a moderated mailing list

Alexander

I am trying to set up a moderated mailing list by using the majodromo software integrated in Direct Admin and I encounter several problems:

- I cannot find documentation on the settings of the Modify Mailing List page in DA. The Help-info is too brief and the majodromo info uses other names for the parameters or doesn't mention them at all.

- I am using Mozilla mail (also have Outlook and Eudora around) but neither of them allows me to put the Approved: password phrase in the header. The other method (mentioned by majodromo) to get moderated lists working, would be putting the approval phrase in the body works only with text-only emails. But I need to send rich mail.

The forwarder solution, mentioned elsewhere in this list, is not good enough for me, as I need to allow users to subscribe-unsubscribe freely.

Last edited:
Alexander said:
I am using Mozilla mail (also have Outlook and Eudora around) but neither of them allows me to put the Approved:password phrase in the header.
That's a limitation of those email clients, and needs to be brought up to the support groups for the developers of those clients.
The other method (mentioned by majodromo) to get moderated lists working, would be putting the approval phrase in the body works only with text-only emails. But I need to send rich mail.
Majordomo was not developed for text-only emails and will not work well with MIME (multi-part) emails.

You'd probably be better served by finding another list manager to use.

But another solution (if you can live with all the other problems Majordomo has with MIME emails) would be to install another client on your Windows system--one that does support adding headers--and use it to get/send mail from only the address you use for moderating.

Another mailing list manager might work for you: 'm not sure if MailMan will work or not, but it's much newer than Majordomo, so you might want to check into it.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have installed de Mnenhy plugin and I am able to edit the headers in Mozilla. Majodromo seems to work good for me now. I will have a look at MailMan too.

Direct admin strips out all the comments from the config.
The majordomo website is no help at all in giving you explanations of the configuration options
It says the config is "self documenting"
You need to get majordomo to rewrite the config file with all the
comments
you do this by sending an email to
<listname>[email protected]
with
writeconfig <listname> <admin password> in the BODY

Then you get the config by sending an email to
<listname>[email protected]
with
config <listname> <admin password> in the BODY

Then you will have a message with all the config settings explained in comments.

Back