Ubuntu (32 and 64 bit) DA install script rewrite

sfxdana

Verified User
Just wanted to let people know that I'm planning on rewriting the install script of DA so it will use the standard ubuntu packages. For better security and ease of maintenance. Already did it for one system manually but want to upgrade all my systems that way automagically. So a simple "apt-get upgrade" is enough to have latest security patches.

And it should allow the admin to upgrade from 6.06 LTS to 7.04 LTS without much problems or other versions of ubuntu.

I want to write it in such a way that it can also be made to work with other OSes. And all currently supported OSes of course. So support for other OSes can be easily added.

The script should be able to install 32 as well as 64 bit ubuntu. Plan is to support LTS only. But if it works for one it will work for other versions, with little tweaks maybe even none.

If it all works, I'm planning on releasing it to directadmin developers to incorporate it in the standard install scripts.

I'll keep posting updates and test versions in this/new thread if available.

But keep in mind, i do have a day job and private life is also busy. So progess will be slow at first.

First is to layout my plans of the script, maybe more people can help expedite development.

And if people are interested in helping or testing versions please let me know in this thread. Maybe it will let me change the schedule a bit to plan more time for scripting.

Sfxdana.

I am very interested, please keep us informed as to your progress. If you need someone to test let me know as I have several testbed servers I can try on.

Just wanted to let people know that I'm planning on rewriting the install script of DA so it will use the standard ubuntu packages. For better security and ease of maintenance. Already did it for one system manually but want to upgrade all my systems that way automagically. So a simple "apt-get upgrade" is enough to have latest security patches.
The beauty of the custombuild approach to maintaining the hosting stack is that you have a lot of flexibility to use different versions, even replacement software, if that's what you want to do.

Will you be able to do that with the standard ubuntu packages? Or will you be limited to versions that the ubuntu developers want you to use.

I know in the past, when i used Plesk with RPMs, for example, it was impossible to change apache modules, without getting Plesk support involved at a very high hourly rate.

That's the main reason I'm no longer paying Plesk $1000/year to be a Gold Partner; that's the main reason I switched to DirectAdmin.

I hope that DirectAdmin doesn't end up with the same inflexibility.

Jeff

Back