Billing System Design

Should billing system be hosted?

• Yes, I like the idea of keeping everyone up to date easily.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No, I'm concerned about not being in control if it goes down.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

neofree

Verified User
Hello,

Some of you know I am writing a comprehensive billing system for DirectAdmin. I need to know if people prefer the system to be "hosted" or not. What I mean is if you want to download and install the program on your own server, or if you just want to log into our system and use it, ie: hosted (also called ASP - Application Service Provider).

The important thing to understand here is there will be absolutely no difference to how it works to the customer either way. In fact everything will be the same. Pricing, features, etc. No difference whatsoever, except that in the nature of how it is installed/upgraded. In the hosted environment you would be provided with an IP address so that you can direct any domain or subdomain to it and retain your identity.

The pro to the hosted solution is that no one ever has to figure out how to install or upgrade it. Everyone will always run a good working version. Everyone will be sure it is configured properly. Support will be a much easier task and we can focus on new features.

The con to the hosted solution is that if our service goes down, your billing system goes down. However, we would have a backup server in place and this really should not be a problem. Also even if a server goes down for a couple hours, it would only be the billing system, not your entire server.

Thanks,

Neofree

I'm a security nut :D

I wouldn't even think about using a hosted solution for my billing.. Its just to insecure for me.. I only trust my customer's information with myself, because I know exactly whats going on, and what measures are being taken to keep it private..

Billing is very important, and if it goes down it could be very big problem to users.. Then people couldn't order your service, etc..

I keep all my billing systems on a super locked down system that no client has access to except the web interface on SSL :D

The Prohacker:
I understand your concern. It is because of this I did make sure to have this Poll before making a decision about this. I can assure you though that every security measure would be taken. The server that this program would run on would be specifically set up for this task, with everything else that is not neccasary turned off.

newpoint:
Great idea, but not practical for the initial release. If demand is there I would be happy to do both. But I would only develop one system until the first official version is released.

Thanks,

Neofree

I would like to see a version running on my own server. Exactly for the reasons prohacker already told you. Also I would like to advise you for turning off creditcrad support.

This cause I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and 99% off my customers pay by sending them an invoice by post. So if you are willing to do that I would be more then happy. Also keep in mind that I should be able to bill a customer with several tax values for different products.

I agree with The Prohacker.

For me to use it I would have to have my own copy set up on my own servers. I've seen other "outsourced" billing systems but just don't trust them.

The only way to guarantee security and privacy for your clients is to do it yourself. With an outsourced billing system, too many "eyes" would have access to both your client's and information to your server's access points.

So, the only way I (and probably 99% of the hosting industry) would use any billing program is for it to be an owned software/script residing on our own servers.

BUT, I personally do appreciate your question. At least you are asking what the customers want!

Thank you for everyones comments. With these concerns in security I think it's going to be best to make it so it is installed on each persons server.

Thanks,

Neofree

I'm a little late for the poll but I always like to put my 2 cents in. I agree with the others about security. I would prefer that it was hosted on my server.

own server :p

not to mention, we currently host our own, on our internal network completely isolated from intruders :p

also, does this mean now is a good time to stop workin on the once Ive been developing, which havent had time for??

basiclly,when can we expect a demo? :p

Should have demo and need for Beta testers in 1-3 months. I am not releasing a detailed feature list until the Beta is ready, but it offers some very unique features over the competition.

Thanks,

Neofree

neofree said:
I need to know if people prefer the system to be "hosted" or not. What I mean is if you want to download and install the program on your own server, or if you just want to log into our system and use it, ie: hosted (also called ASP - Application Service Provider).
Neofree, before we'd consider a hosted solution (and I'm sure there are a lot of people who will agree with us) we'd need to see certain steps at your end:

1) Multiple servers, so it won't go down, with a separate database server running on a local network with nonroutable IP#s.

2) Raid hot-swappable drives

3) Redundant DNS

4) SSL with a high-dollar guarantee to the end-user (not the default $25 guarantee you get with Comodo certs, for example).

5) Security audited regularly by an outside auditing company with regular reports available to us, your clients.

Jeff

Own Server to answer the question.
SpinnaHost would love to be a BETA tester if you are looking for any (I know it won't be for a few months yet). Maybe SpinnaHost could help you out with a design ;)

same as Lloyd and everyone else here ;)

-> Your own dedicated box

Beta testers

-> Im up for it :)

Chris

Back