Update errors. And where is update logfile?

Richard G

Verified User
Maybe a noob question but I've done an update like state on the site here as followed:
./build update
./buid all d

But I encountered some errors like these:
Code:
xpath.c:13368: warning: ISO C forbids assignment between function pointer and 'void *'
xpath.c:13393: warning: ISO C forbids assignment between function pointer and 'void *'

and

Code:
testapi.c: In function ‘test_xmlBufferSetAllocationScheme’:
testapi.c:18831: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
testapi.c: At top level:
testapi.c:18047: warning: ‘gen_xmlSchematronPtr’ defined but not used
testapi.c:18050: warning: ‘des_xmlSchematronPtr’ defined but not used
testapi.c:18067: warning: ‘gen_xmlSchematronParserCtxtPtr’ defined but not used
testapi.c:18070: warning: ‘des_xmlSchematronParserCtxtPtr’ defined but not used
testapi.c:34166: warning: ‘gen_xmlSAXHandlerPtr_ptr’ defined but not used
testapi.c:34169: warning: ‘des_xmlSAXHandlerPtr_ptr’ defined but not used

But somewhere I've seen a ***warning*** block passing by, saying something about some lib.... not present and I should make a symlink to some lib...2.0.0 file.
However, it passed by to fast and scrolling back can only be done partial.

So I thougth of having a look at the update logfile.
Is there one and if yes, what is it called and where can I find it?
I tried /var/log but did not see anything which looked like it.

Maybe anybody any idea about the above errors and why they appeared during the update? Because I guess there shouldn't be any errors.

There is no log, but since you use the "default" variable when building all I suggest you simply run:
Code:
./build all d 2>&1 |tee build.log
This way you will be able to see what's going on, and all will be also printed to the file "build.log" in the same directory for further investigation.

Anyway, most compiler warnings can just be ignored, and any error will stop the update process.

Thank you for the quick answer. I will give that a try.

But what do you mean by "use the default variable"? I just wanted to update libraries and all other things installed by custombuild becaue I read there were security issues with for example curl.

Are there other variable's to update then?

Oke made the log and discovered some more errors:
Code:
checking for bcopy... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  'Makefile.in' seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  'lib/Makefile.in' seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
Are these supposed to happen?

And this was the error I was looking for:
Code:
Configuring mod_perl-2.0.4...
************* WARNING *************

Your Perl is configured to link against libgdbm,
  but libgdbm.so was not found.                        
  You could just symlink it to /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2.0.0

************* WARNING *************
I'm always mistaking making symlinks, how do I make this one?
ln -s /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libgdbm.so
Is that correct?

Well, my friend, you didn't read all of my last post :)

Ignore the warnings unless there is an error that stopped the build process.

For example, in the first warnings you reported it's just that the person who created the tarball didn't follow the guidelines for the Makefile template; who cares, if the program compiles and is installed?
The second warning is about an optional library (GNU database) that mod_perl could dinamically compile itself with; if it were important the process would stop, but since it continued you don't need to mess with your libraries.

Anyway try to remember that symlinking libraries should be the last solution you may think of... there always is a reason for a file to be in a place instead of another one, and I realize sometimes it's difficult to understand the problem, but if you want to avoid further problems I suggest you play by the rules and just ask for support. IF you are completely sure that you need BSD database support in your mod_perl, just ask how to install the library correctly.

Last edited:
Sorry Tillo, but I read all of your post, but it stated that "most" errors could be ignored, not that "all" errors could be ignored, and since I'm not that experienced with compiling, I thought I'd better be save then sorry, so that's why I still asked. Just to be sure.;)

So thank you very much for your further explanation of what it is and what it does. I was a bit afraid because of the ****warning**** part. Thought the stars were there because it was very important.

As far as I know I don't need BSD database support. I'm glad all went reasonably well and i should not have to expect problems.

Thanks again for your patientence with me and your support and explanation.

Back