changing the file system

Crusader

Verified User
I took a look at my fstab and mtab and noticed that my main partition is mounted as reiserfs. Is there an easy way to change it to ext3 or ufs?

Also, what file system do you use for your DA partition?

Also note, I'm on a VPS and I'm not too sure if my partition really is reiserfs...

Last edited:
If it says it's reiserfs, it probably is. The only way to change it is to back up everything and rebuild the server. Why would you want to change it? Reiserfs is very good at some things (for example handling lots of small files), and until recently the well-known Suse distributions all used at by default.

Jeff

I've just been having too many issues with DA not showing the proper disk usage on it. I've done what the knowledgebase said with the quotas and I've even had one of the DA admins to look at it but everyone said it had something to do with reiserfs.

Do you run your servers on a reiserfs filesystem?

I haven't used ReiserFS in many years; not since ext3 file systems were capable of dealing with lots of small files.

I don't know anything about quotas on ReiserFS; in those days I used scripts to find how much space was being used.

Google finds mixed results. It's impossible to call or email Hans Reiser to ask him because he's in prison in California for murdering his wife.

However I did find a note about a patch here.

Or you can rebuild your server.

Jeff

Back