Best linux desktop system

floyd

Verified User
I was wondering what your opinions were for a linux desktop. I personally like Mandriva over CentOS and Fedora. I tried Ubuntu and did not really like it. I know there are others out there that I have not tried and really don't have time to try. So I am trying to narrow the list to what you guys like.

I've had Ubuntu intalled on my main PC at home for about two years now. Easy to install and easy to use. One advantage is the HUGE community it has.

Fedora 10 is also on the up and up from reviews. Both are good distros to try out.

I am kinda partial to Debian. Although its more "server" based, it is really rock solid stable. It doesnt have the pretty Gnome gui like Ubuntu but I prefer KDE anyways.
The only drawback to using Debian Stable, is that alot of times you wont get the newest packages right when they come out, but the packages that are in the repos are tried and true.

Ubuntu is very good for home desktop use, and you'll see those newer packages sooner. Plus the desktop community is huge for ubuntu or Kubuntu.

Either one of those are great, and I'd consider it a toss up between them.

I have already tried Fedora, Mandriva, CentOS, and Ubuntu. I am looking for other suggestions that people have tried and liked.

Ive played a lot with Centos,Debian,Fedora,Suse and Ubuntu/Kubuntu and i found that i worked the best with Ubuntu for its userfriendlyness (is that a word)
Im currently switching between Windows ( for my games) and Ubuntu 8.10 for my work.

There isn't a "best desktop distribution", all depends on how you want your software stable or recent, on what do you know about how is working or you need something very user friendly and with a large community, etc.
For example, I use Gentoo on my desktop, XUbuntu on my notebook and Ubuntu at work, while I use Debian stable or testing or Gentoo on servers. I also like Arch and heard good things about OpenSUSE. As alternative to Gentoo on very high load servers I choose FreeBSD (which is, of course, not linux).

I suggest you read this recent article and it's comments: http://lifehacker.com/5170138/five-best-linux-distributions

I still think Windows has linux beat in the gui area. I cant stand running on any Linux I have tried them all, they seem crappy. The sound, video, feeling all do not feel as smooth as it does in Windows. If you like using Linux that is good for you. I just have never been able to get it to where I can stand using it.

Although I prefer Debian for servers, I mainly use OpenSuSE with KDE 4 for my workstation and laptop.

OpenSuSE is very easy to use. Also, almost every important package is installed by default (it is possible to remove certain packages from installation, during the installation process). It is very easy to add media support like MP3 and DVD, using the packman repository.

For my workstation, I don't like to have to customize a lot of things, or to edit files on the shell.

I am sure Ubuntu is very good, but I prefer the OpenSuSE default installation.

Scsi

SCSI...
You should check out Gnome or KDE with beryl installed. KDE is almost exactly like windows, and with beryl you get all the neat transitions and "prettyness".

Now it's called compiz-fusion and it's a set of plugins for compiz, but I'm with BooDaddy on that: GUIs on linux have made an outstanting progress in the last years.

There are way better fonts than Windows or OSX, the alsa sound driver is very powerful and the responsiveness is way, way, [put any number of "way" here] better than Windows and OSX put togheter.
Video drivers also are better, I've had more problems recently with ATI/NVidia Windows drivers than on linux.

When I use Windows, either XP or Vista, I really feel like there is something that isn't right. It's just not responsive and smooth as it's on my Xfce, and it makes me nervous.

And, by the way, aren't you mad when some full screen interface, like a game, crashes on Windows and alt+tab doesn't work? Well, on linux you have the SysRq magic key, from which you can kill whatever is running on the given terminal (like, say, X), remount disks read-only or sync them before rebooting, and it works in ANY case (even on a kernel crash). Just to mention one of the many linux differences I couldn't live without :)

Of course, I still have to boot on (or emulate) Windows sometimes to play a videogame or use some advanced software, but this isn't linux's fault, is it? :(

I still think Windows has linux beat in the gui area.

Me too. All the software I really need to use will run in Linux. I would love to switch. But when I go back and forth Windows has it beat in look and feel.

I started the thread looking for suggestions. I will check out KDE with beryl installed. Have not heard of beryl. Do I just install the distro I like with KDE and then install beryl?

Yeah floyd, beryl is a package that can be installed, but I think tillo mentioned its called compiz-fusion now. Its been a while since I last used beryl.

I really like KDE as a gui because it was the most familiar to me (since I grew up on windows) Ubuntu by default uses Gnome as a gui. If your looking for a Ubuntu version thats built with KDE... check out Kubuntu. http://www.kubuntu.org/

if you wanting to just take a look at a few distros without the work of doing an install, try a few of the Live CDs... that way you can "test drive" the OS without all that work of installing it. Then, once you find the one you like, do a full install of it.

Check out Slax.... www.slax.org It uses KDE as a gui, and you can install Compiz-fusion (beryl) as a module. Plus you can run it as a live cd or from a flash drive. If im not mistaken, it is built off a Debian core.

I started years ago with Red Hat Linux 7.3. I've used Mandriva LE 2005 since it came out, and I'm using it right now, while writing this.

I've built a new desktop system and installed Ubuntu, but I'm not really happy with it.

I'm a user when it comes to desktops, not an administrator, and I want it to be easy to add all the codecs and plugins I may need.

The main reason I wanted to switch from Mandriva to Ubuntu is that while I really prefer the old KDE, the new KDE is not to my liking; if I'm going to have to learn a new interface anyway, I'd rather use one with a stable user-interface philosophy, and that's why I chose ubuntu with the default Gnome install. If I could find a KAlarm replacement it might even work for me :).

I'd try Gentoo if I had the time.

Jeff

Gentoo is the Perfect distribution if you love to patch sources and compile your system from scratch just the way you like it (and I mean it: you can do whatever you want!). It's not an easy system and it's not an usual desktop system.
If you use Gnome instead of KDE4 because you don't want to spend time learning a new interface, Gentoo is not for you. It takes a few days just to install and configure it, even for experienced users :)

I started with Red Hat, then tried other RPM using distros, didn't like them. Tried Gentoo when it came out, but somehow it just wasn't "me". Tried FreeBSD, NetBSD and then found Debian. Haven't looked back since. I'm using Debian on all servers I manage and also as a desktop, if I have a spare machines (Mac user here!). I like Gnome more than KDE or other desktop environments - Xfce for machines that don't have the muscle for Gnome.

When I was younger, I built all my computers myself, loved to spend hours tweaking and finetuning, compiling stuff... you know the drill. Now I just want to get things done and prefer a system that Just Works. My PPC G4 iBook, running Tiger, is my main system and does just that, giving me best of both worlds (GUI stuff and *nix tools). :D

Mind you, I don't my computers to watch DVDs etc. It's just TextMate and iTerm for me, 95% of the time.

Gentoo is the Perfect distribution if you love to patch sources and compile your system from scratch just the way you like it (and I mean it: you can do whatever you want!). It's not an easy system and it's not a usual desktop system.
I first discovered the Gentoo community a few years ago at SCALE 2007; what impressed me most was the young crowd it was attracting; their enthusiasm reminded me of my TRS-80 days in the late 70s. I also liked that it didn't make changes for the sake of change or diferentiation; it used the software as developed by the original developers/maintainers.

But ultimately I had to decide to not use it because I just don't have time to keep up with keeping up with it. Perhaps if I ever retire :).
If you use Gnome instead of KDE4 because you don't want to spend time learning a new interface, Gentoo is not for you. It takes a few days just to install and configure it, even for experienced users :)
But that's the whole idea of Gentoo :D.

Jeff

Back