blacklist_domains wildcards

americanintel

Verified User
Hey Jeff...

It's been awhile since I addressed this and I can't find anything here via search...

Can we use domain wildcards to block email...ie:

*.ru
*.kr
*.in
*.cn
*.tr

etc..etc.

Since host_lookup = * is in your exim.conf will it compare it's host lookup response against the blacklist_domains file?

My /var/log/exim/rejectlog is showing Spamhaus to be nailing most of the spam from those countries...that I know of... so I don't know how to tell IF this would work.

One other question... while I can grep to my heart's content, do you know of any reporting scripts that I could easily setup to report on what Spamblocker is permitting/blocking? Not THAT important but would be nice to have.

Thanks and hope all is well.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I addressed this and I can't find anything here via search...

Can we use domain wildcards to block email...ie:

*.ru
*.kr
*.in
*.cn
*.tr

etc..etc.

Since host_lookup = * is in your exim.conf will it compare it's host lookup response against the blacklist_domains file?
The blocklist code doesn't understand wildcards. So *.ru won't work. I don't know if simply using .ru would work, because I've never looked at the exim source underlying the comparison. I do know how to test it.
My /var/log/exim/rejectlog is showing Spamhaus to be nailing most of the spam from those countries...that I know of... so I don't know how to tell IF this would work.
You can certainly test this behavior. Use the exim -bh feature, documented here.
One other question... while I can grep to my heart's content, do you know of any reporting scripts that I could easily setup to report on what Spamblocker is permitting/blocking? Not THAT important but would be nice to have.
I never wrote any, so barring response here, I doubt there are any.
Thanks and hope all is well.
Yes, thanks...

Note that while it is possible to determine IP#s used by country, it's not as easy as you might think: look here for more information.

Jeff

Back