Should I be updating my CentOS 4.6 server to CentOS 5.3?

ujjain

Verified User
I am considering updating, but the server has an uptime of 100% over the last 12 months... although hasn't been updated for the last 12 months, except for basic DirectAdmin and OS-updates.

The server is hardened, but the software is getting outdated. Can anybody help me find a howto for updating CentOS 4.6 to CentOS 5.3?

And can I expect problems with DirectAdmin not functioning anymore afterwards?

I've wanted to do the same, but I've heard it's a rather hit or miss with upgrading from 4.x to 5.x. It's suggested to instead wipe clean and install. DirectAdmin shouldn't have any problems however if what you do is successful. Just realize that there may be some complications, so make sure to back up and be prepared.

I am considering updating, but the server has an uptime of 100% over the last 12 months... although hasn't been updated for the last 12 months, except for basic DirectAdmin and OS-updates.

The server is hardened, but the software is getting outdated. Can anybody help me find a howto for updating CentOS 4.6 to CentOS 5.3?

And can I expect problems with DirectAdmin not functioning anymore afterwards?

Just a question, it isnt possible to run the latest version of software through custombuild if you have an outdated OS?

Most software can still use Centos 4; all new versions of Apache, Mysql, PHP, etc. So right now and probably for a few more years, it won't be a problem.

Just a question, it isnt possible to run the latest version of software through custombuild if you have an outdated OS?
I have no idea. I haven't ran the custombuild script for over a year now, I honestly don't know it's features. However yum upgrade should not involve php and httpd-packages that I believe are build by the custombuild script, as they are not rpm-packages, but manually compiled.

I don't think you need an updated OS to run the custombuild script.

Most software can still use Centos 4; all new versions of Apache, Mysql, PHP, etc. So right now and probably for a few more years, it won't be a problem.
True, but I guess it is just something emotional I have as a Linux System Administrator. I would like to have my OS updated and run CentOS 5.3 Final.

I've wanted to do the same, but I've heard it's a rather hit or miss with upgrading from 4.x to 5.x. It's suggested to instead wipe clean and install. DirectAdmin shouldn't have any problems however if what you do is successful. Just realize that there may be some complications, so make sure to back up and be prepared.
I have done it before, a long time ago. My license in DirectAdmin actually says CentOS 3 as that's how I installed the server. I consider having to use a 2nd server and copy backups on a new DirectAdmin server as a bad solution, as we have spent quite a few hours to optimize the server and make modifications.

I have sent an e-mail to [email protected]. I am looking forward to their response.

Last edited:
I've wanted to do the same, but I've heard it's a rather hit or miss with upgrading from 4.x to 5.x. It's suggested to instead wipe clean and install.
We did upgrade many servers -- i386 and x86_64 -- from CentOS v4.x to v5.3 without any problems. The upgrade process is rather tricky since every server is unique and what works for one server may not work for another. :)

We did upgrade many servers -- i386 and x86_64 -- from CentOS v4.x to v5.3 without any problems. The upgrade process is rather tricky since every server is unique and what works for one server may not work for another. :)

That's the issue: dependencies. Different servers are setup different ways as you said. Still, it's good to hear that you had nice results. You got any tips for the rest of us? :)

You got any tips for the rest of us? :)
Do not upgrade your CentOS OS from v4.x to v5.3 on a production server unless you have the skills and expertise to handle any technical issue that might arise. I suggest, instead, you seek professional help.

True, but I guess it is just something emotional I have as a Linux System Administrator. I would like to have my OS updated and run CentOS 5.3 Final.
Most system administrators follow the saying if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Since CentOS4 is still being supported, and since CustomBuild should be used to update your hosting stack, there's nothing broke about CentOS4.

You should, of course, run both yum update and custombuild often.

Some people have reported problems with yum upgrade and I've posted a link today, on these forums, to a website saying it's not officially supported.
I have done it before, a long time ago. My license in DirectAdmin actually says CentOS 3 as that's how I installed the server.
You should contact DirectAdmin support and have them update the license to the OS Distribution you're using; there's no charge.
I consider having to use a 2nd server and copy backups on a new DirectAdmin server as a bad solution, as we have spent quite a few hours to optimize the server and make modifications.
Then don't do it. Just use what you've got.
I have sent an e-mail to [email protected]. I am looking forward to their response.
Did they ever respond? What was their advice?

Jeff

Do not upgrade your CentOS OS from v4.x to v5.3 on a production server unless you have the skills and expertise to handle any technical issue that might arise. I suggest, instead, you seek professional help.
That's quite degrading my Linux capabilities. I have perfectly updated servers before, I am just looking for experiences on a DirectAdmin CentOS-4 upgrade to CentOS-5.

Most system administrators follow the saying if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Since CentOS4 is still being supported, and since CustomBuild should be used to update your hosting stack, there's nothing broke about CentOS4.

You should, of course, run both yum update and custombuild often.

Some people have reported problems with yum upgrade and I've posted a link today, on these forums, to a website saying it's not officially supported.

You should contact DirectAdmin support and have them update the license to the OS Distribution you're using; there's no charge.

Then don't do it. Just use what you've got.

Did they ever respond? What was their advice?

Jeff
I am fan of the saying: "If it's not broke, don't fix it" and unfortunately I learned it the hard way and I still see lots of people being the first to update Plesk 8.6 to Plesk 9.0... facing problems... yelling at SW-Soft... and in the next release... same issue, it happens them every time.

This DirectAdmin server has been performing great, so I'll just leave it like them. I have updated CentOS 4.6 to CentOS 4.7.

DirectAdmin Support said it could be done "We support CentOS 5.3. You'll likely need to update the binaries to the new OS (needs a license change) You may also need to recompile the services (apache, php, dovecot, etc) after the update." and they asked for my license ID, so they could update it from RHEL3 to CentOS 5, to avoid possible problems during my upgrade to CentOS 5.

Perhaps you might want to have them remark it, then, for CentOS4. I'm not sure of the difference, if any, in the binaries; the biggest issue would be calls to specific library verisons which may be different in the CentOS various versions.

For what it's worth, we've still got one client on RHL 7.3/DirectAdmin; we keep some software up-to-date ourselves, and for the rest DirectAdmin manages with customapache.

Jeff

And there you'll find my posts; the last one referring to the first, where I say the same thing.

Jeff

Back