Set exim=no, but symbollic link still gets created replacing my postfix link

davids

Verified User
All of our mail is handled on a separate server so we disabled exim and dovecot in the options.conf file. Any outbound mail is supposed to going through our postfix server.

Every time we upgrade the packages on DirectAdmin though, postfix stops working.

It appears that the /usr/sbin/sendmail symbollic link that we have pointing to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix keeps getting replaced and is pointing to exim instead. Since we don't have exim installed, no mail is making it out.

All of our clients know to use "/usr/sbin/sendmail" as the location of the script not to mention php is set to use that location by default. I could tweak the php.ini file but it wouldn't affect anybody using Perl scripts so I just figured I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this problem or not and try to figure out if it's a problem on my end or if it's an actual bug.

Here is a copy of my options.conf file:
Code:
#PHP settings. default_php possible values - 4 or 5
default_php=5
php4_cli=no
php4_cgi=no
php5_cli=yes
php5_cgi=no
zend=no

#Possible values - 4.1, 5.0 or 5.1
mysql=5.0
mysql_inst=no
mysql_backup=no

#Possible values - 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2
apache_ver=2.2

#Web applications
phpmyadmin=no
atmail=no
squirrelmail=no
roundcube=no
uebimiau=no

#Mail options
exim=no
mail-header-patch=no
dovecot=no

#FTP options
proftpd=yes

#Jailed shell (beta)
jail=no

#CustomBuild options
autover=no
bold=yes
clean=yes

#Cron settings
cron=yes
[email protected]
notifications=yes
updates=no

#CustomBuild 1.2 settings
php6_cli=no
php6_cgi=no
php_ini=no
#Possible values - recommended or dist
php_ini_type=recommended
cleanapache=no
fileserver=1
eximconf=no
webapps_updates=yes
custombuild=1.1
awstats=no
webalizer=yes
clean_old_webapps=yes
clean_old_tarballs=yes
da_autoupdate=no

Oh by the way. I am running DirectAdmin on Fedora Core 8 in case that makes a difference.

Last edited:
so set the immutable flag on the binary or something. man chattr

I thought symbolic links didn't have flags associated with them? I thought it only worked on the actual inode, not the pointer to the inode. Unless that's only in BSD?

Interesting point. I hope you'll tell us the answer when you find out.

If you remove exim (or rename it) can't you just create a regular (not symbolic) link from exim to postfix?

Jeff

That's a possibility. I'll have to wait till I do the next upgrade to test it though because I forgot the path to exim when DirectAdmin installs it. I'd guess it'd just be /usr/sbin/exim but I can't remember, unless someone can find that for me. I don't really feel like looking through all the DirectAdmin documentation or compile source code to find it right now. I at least know now to keep an eye on this problem before doing any upgrades now so worst case scenario, I just have to fix my links each time I upgrade so our clients don't lose their mail.

Back