DA LOGIN FORM suggestion...

casslin

Verified User
hey fellow DA users... :cool:

ok... when using a remote login page with a username and password field that posts to the DA login form, some users are becoming confused if their login fails... the reason is that they get redirected to a *unfamilar* DA login page...

so why not make the DA login accept an optional hidden field with a URL that redirects the user back to the remote login page if the login fails...

does my attempt at an explanation make sense here...?
am I the only one that thinks this would be useful?

here's an example of what I'm trying to say:

<form action="http://domain.com:2222/CMD_LOGIN" method="post" name="login">

<input name="username" type="text" class="tablestyle" value="username" maxlength="26">

<input name="password" type="password" class="tablestyle" value="password">

<input name="FAIL_URL" type="hidden" value="http://www.domain.com?DA_LOGIN=FAILED">

<input name="Submit" type="submit" class="buttonstyle" value="Login">

</form>

Thanks,
Matt MacAdams
[email protected]
866-732-0292

Casslin Web Services
www.casslin.com

Sounds good. I'll also add a "referrer" field, so that when someone sends you a link in the panel, you'll get redirected there after you login.

John

The only problem with different login pages, is that there is no way to know which reseller a user belongs to *before* he logs in... thus there can only be 1 login form per server. (Unless I get fancy and figure out which IP they connect to, but that is way to much work for a minor thing like this).. hope that answers your question.

John

hey John:

I was just curious if you were considering adding this feature in the near future, or at a later date...? I'm just curious because I'm working on a login form and I need to make a few design decisions based off your timeline... and I know you are super busy making this awesome cp! :)

wow... that was ridiculously fast... keep up all the good work!!! :)

hey John... I read the note about the upgrade at ( http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=123 )...

one thing it didn't mention, was the added ability for us to include an optional hidden form field for a URL to direct the customer to if their login failed...

for example... I create a login form on the homepage of my website, then the user fills in the form to log into DA... if the login attempt fails, then then user would be directed to the URL that was included in the hidden field in my form... (see the example form above)

is that feature included in this upgrade tonight?

Ya, I just caught that (read it too fast), I'm adding it this second :D, should still probably release tonight, maybe tomorrow :)

John

you're awesome...

seriously, out of all the companies I have ever dealt for anything, this is the best expirence I have ever had as a customer...

keep up the great work! :)

hey John...

the remote form submission doesn't seem to be functioning properly... check out the source code of: casslin.com/index.php

the form is setup properly, but most of the time the logins fail...

any ideas?

The text input values for username and password should both be lower case, not upper case. :)

John

ohh... ha ha... the infamous case sensitivity strikes again! :)

thanks! :)

hey John,

I made the changes but I found some weird functionaility...

when a user logs in, finishes using the DA Panel and leaves, then comes back and logins in again... they are not redirected back to the FAIL_URL if their login attempt fails...

does that make sense?

Yes, the fail url isn't saved for future use after a successful login, so once a login is done, so is the fail url.

John

right, but the FAIL_URL it is being submitted from the same form both times... both forms include the FAIL_URL variable, it just doesn't get evaluated if you did not press log out on a recent session... it's not really important, I just thought I should mention it...

keep up the good work bro! :)

I'll just add that we'll have a LOGOUT_URL (similar to FAIL_URL) that will be stored in the session, so that the user will be forwarded to it's value when the logout button is clicked. (version 1.192)

John

John,

we'll need one for timeout sessions too. It gets pretty confusing when they click on logout and get directed back to where there are but was thrown a different page when it times out.

-----------

Oops, read the one by bryco. When will it be implemented?

Last edited:
Back