Exim 4.33 - plain authenticator failed

faab

Verified User
I recently upgraded exim to 4.33 with the exiscan-acl patch. I also made a new exim.conf and since then I'm getting this error when users try to send mail via auth smtp:

2004-05-10 16:00:56 plain authenticator failed for <hosthere> (domain) [ip]: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=userid)

A few seconds later I get:

2004-05-10 16:01:10 1BNBL8-0002h2-4G <= [email protected] H=hostname (domain.tld) [ip] P=asmtp A=login:userid S=588 id=409F8B09.7080902@domain
and the mail goes out as it would normally do.

I can't find anything weird in my config file, I kinda copied it from the original DA config. Perhaps someone here could take a look at it. Thanks in advance.
exim.conf

Not too sure. You can always add debug info (to output info to a file in /tmp) to the /etc/exim.pl file which does the actual password checking.

John

Please read what I said properly.
The problem lies not in authenticating. The problem is that exim uses both authentication mechanisms instead of only one. The exim.pl file works fine.

If you take a look at exim.conf, the AUTH section, you will see a PLAIN auth and a LOGIN auth. For some reason exim also tries the PLAIN auth for SMTP users that supply a username and password.

I don't think it is specific to your upgrade. I am still using the default da_exim, and I am getting the same thing in my log files. It attempts to authenticate via plaintext and fails, then does the login and delivers the email.

Back