Programs not needed?

dec

Verified User
Hi,

Is there a list of packages not needed in a regular redhat or fedora web dedicated server?

It may be actually better or shorter to have a list of the necessary packages needed for a webserver and DA.. :p

I just want to get rid of no necessary stuff running in my server so i can increase performance and security.

Regards,

Dec

DA itself relies on very little, Most of what you need for DA is what it installs... remove what you know is safe, unsure about anything feel free to post here...

Chris

Ok services list

Ok.. here is the list of services that i am not sure i need:

1) isdn

2) kudzu

3) gpm

4) autofs

5) httpd <-- Just kidding :D

6) messagebus

7) microcode_ctl

8) hmmm? named is disable in my server..

9) netfs

10) pcmcia

11)sgi_fam

12) smartd

Re: Ok services list

dec said:
Ok.. here is the list of services that i am not sure i need:

1) isdn - depends if you use an ISDN adapter..

2) kudzu - Keep

3) gpm - Unless you have/need a mouse you can remove this

4) autofs - Keep

5) httpd <-- Just kidding :D

6) messagebus - Can be removed (dont have it on any systems here)

7) microcode_ctl - Can be removed

8) hmmm? named is disable in my server.. - If you want DNS enable it ;)

9) netfs - remove

10) pcmcia - Keep if you have PCMCIA hardware.

11)sgi_fam - can be removed but may be worth keeping

12) smartd - Should be part of the kernel-utils package... you should be fine removing it if you have it on its own?

In the above quote :)

Chris

You can also have a look in this document:

Hardening Fedora

There is a list within the document of services that are running by default that may be safely disabled.

Let give it a try and let us know.

Last edited:
I think i read that kudzu is kind of a new hardware detector script that runs every time you boot you computer.. I think it can be safely removed since this may be mor useful for workstation

Thanks for the link

Dec

:D

your welcome..

i will try it tomorrow and will post my results. But I think everything will be working because these are runlevel3 services.

dec said:
I think i read that kudzu is kind of a new hardware detector script that runs every time you boot you computer.. I think it can be safely removed since this may be mor useful for workstation

Thanks for the link

Dec

Thas exactly what it is - a hardware probing tool - from redhat:

Kudzu is the Red Hat Linux hardware probing library, and the associated configuration program. The probing library is used by various system utilities, such as anaconda, Xconfigurator, and hwbrowser. The tool runs at system boot time to determine what hardware has been added or removed from the system.

Chris

ProWebUK said:
Thas exactly what it is - a hardware probing tool - from redhat:

Kudzu is the Red Hat Linux hardware probing library, and the associated configuration program. The probing library is used by various system utilities, such as anaconda, Xconfigurator, and hwbrowser. The tool runs at system boot time to determine what hardware has been added or removed from the system.

Chris

Thankx ProWebUK

Also still learning :p

Ok

Removed Kudzu plus the ones that chris told me and everything is working fine :D

btw if you ever want to know what is doing what you can type setup as root, go system services, then scroll through them and press F1 for more info on what they do.

btw if you ever want to know what is doing what you can type setup as root, go system services, then scroll through them and press F1 for more info on what they do.

Wow.. Nice :D

Thanks

Dec

Back