Confusion

dec

Verified User
Hi!

I did a lot of reading about this in this forum and i am still confuse about it..

This is what i have done:

a) I created and registered a domain “abcde.com” at enom.

b) I used the same domain “abcde.com” to register DNS like this with my registrar:

ns1.abcde.com --> 12.123.123.12
ns2.abcde.com --> 12.123.123.13

Didn’t change or add anything else…

c) When I got my dedicated server It was using a custom assigned hostname like:

#####.datacenter.com

d) I changed the hostname in my server to match what I wanted, in this case:

server10.abcde.com

Just so if it has anything to do with what I want to configure in DA.

e) When I go here in DA:

Admin control panel>Administrator settings>

I notice that the section called: “Server Settings (will restart DirectAdmin)” has the following:

Server's Name ----- > #####.datacenter.com
NS1 ----------------- > ns1.datacenter.com
NS2 ----------------- > ns2.datacenter.com

This is what I want to have:

1) I want to be able to enter in my web browser “server10.abcde.com” and show the default or a custom static page related to the server. (I know how to do the web page) All I want is to configure this.

Right now if I enter in the web browser: “#####.datacenter.com”, the browser shows the default page from apache server.

2) I want to use the DNS that I registered in enom “ns1.abcde.com” and “ns2.abcde.com” so they have a response from my server.

3) knowing from the information above, I wonder what to write in section “e)”. I think I know.. just want to make sure ;)

Thanks,

Dec

Hello,

I've already replied to the email you sent with these questions, but I'll paste them here again for others.

1) As long as server10.abcde.com resolves to the server IP address, the webpage you create in /var/www/html should show up when that address is typed in. (do not create server10.abcde.com as a domain in DA, just specify it as the hostname (server name) and add the A record)

2/3) http://www.directadmin.com/newinstall.html
a) Create the domain through DA. Setup the nameservers through DA.
b) Register the domain at enom and use ns1/ns2.abcde.com
c) Register ns1/ns2.abcde.cm as nameservers.

Some registrars may not allow b) to happen with ns1/ns2 until c) has taken place. If that's the case, then you'd need to use a temporary nameserver until your domain is resolving.

John

Back