SMTP Server error

locateMe

Verified User
I have two servers both running DirectAdmin

However when I try to send email through either of them I get an error message "Error 0x800ccc0f: Connection to the server was interrupted"

I can use my ISPs SMTP server ok so it's not a firewall or AV problem.

I am able to access the POP3 mailboxes on both servers with no problems - the error only occurs when trying to send email. I have downloaded the Outlook settings in the DA POP3 Email Accounts pages and so am using SMTP Authentication.

How can I check whether SMTP is enabled and running on the servers?

Thanks

Steve

Can you get email when people write you? If so, then SMTP is running. If you'd left your IP# or domain name I could have told you by now.

However, if you've not gotten any email yet, you can log in to your server through ssh, then do:

telnet localhost 25

and see if you get a connection. If you do, then exim (smtp daemon) is running.

But if you don't, it doesn't mean everything's okay, because your server firewall could be blocking port 25. The only way to test that is to try a connection from another known good system (your home system is still suspect) as follows:

telnet 12.34.56.78 25

where 12.34.56.78 should be replaced by your IP#.

Many ISPs block outgoing port 25 connections to make sure you _do_ use their server for outgoing email, so the problem could very well be between your home and your server, on your ISPs network.

Jeff

Thanks for the info

OK - just tried telnet smtp.west.cox.net 25 and got a response (that's the SMTP server of my ISP)

Then tried telnet mail.get-me.co.uk 25 and got a blank response (that's one of my DA servers)

Can you try it from your end and see if it's COX blocking port 25 or if the server has a config error?

Thanks

Steev

Found the problem

OK, just found

*SMTP is only permitted outbound to Cox-provided SMTP servers

Grrrr - darn ISPs LOL

So the next question is can I change my SMTP Port and send out on another port to bypass the COX restriction?

Any ideas?

Steve

Re: Found the problem

locateMe said:
*SMTP is only permitted outbound to Cox-provided SMTP servers

Grrrr - darn ISPs LOL
Works fine from here:

[jeff@of1 jeff]$ telnet mail.get-me.co.uk 25
Trying 69.46.28.214...
Connected to mail.get-me.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 cp.get-me.co.uk ESMTP Exim 4.24 Sun, 16 May 2004 11:59:42 -0400
So the next question is can I change my SMTP Port and send out on another port to bypass the COX restriction?
You can't change the port number smtp runs on; that'd make it impossible for anyone to send you mail.
Any ideas?
You can have exim listen on multiple ports using the local_interfaces configuration option in exim.conf.

Note that local_interfaces by default is unset (meaning it's not present in exim.conf) and if you add it, exim will ONLY listen on the IP#s and ports specified.

Which means you'll be responsible for manually configuring it each time you add another IP# to the box.

Alternatively, you can run another copy of the exim daemon; I leave starting that, and specifying an alternative exim.conf file, as an exercise for the reader :) or for a consultant :) .

If I were you, I'd probably just use my ISP's outgoing email server, but you, we, or someone else, can set up an alternative daemon that you (and your customers who are otherwise blocked) can use.

Jeff

Back