DA DNS configuration

Integrity

Verified User
Hello all,

Just a couple of quick question, regarding DA DNS and nameservers:

I am having some DNS problem. The accounts I created does not seem to resolve properly. (Domains already configured and propagated).

I have a RESELLER account. The SERVER has 3 IPs. 1 is server owned (main) and 2 for my own (static) use. The server does not have MAIN nameservers so I have setup my own nameservers using the above IPs. I have also setup these IPs as shared.

Questions:

1) Is it required for the DA server to have MAIN (primary & secondary) nameservers? Would it function with just an IP?

2) If it is not required, how should I setup DNS and utilize my 2 IPs?

Until I understand what you mean by the word "MAIN" I don't understand your point.

Here's what you need:

1) you must have BIND (the named daemon) installed, and it must be running.

2) You must have registered a nameserver with an IP# pointing to your domain, for example, if you own example.com, then you'd register the nameserver ns1.example.com with one of the IP#s answered by the server. Note that registering a nameserver is not the same as assigning nameservers to domains (that is telling your registrar which nameservers to use for domain resolution for a given domain); if you don't know how to register nameservers, ask the registrar you use to registrar your domain. (You do not have to do this for each domain you register, but only for one.)

Because each domain you register will have to point to two nameservers, you should probably register two, i.e., ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com, each using a different IP# answered to on your server.

3) You must tell DA about those two nameservers.

4) When you transfer domains to your DA server you must assign them two authoritative nameservers (that is nameservers that know about your DA server and will point them to your account there).

Generally you don't have to set up DNS unless your domain has some specific requirements; DA will do that for you.

Jeff

Thanks for your fast reply Jeff.

In response to 1-4, Yes to all and have been done accordingly.

In regards to the "MAIN" nameservers, I'm refering to the MAIN nameservers that is setup by the ADMIN according to the installation procedure.

But let me rephrase my question for better understanding:

1) Do ADMIN need to assign a server (main) nameservers at all through DA for a name-based hosting?

2) In case that ADMIN did not assign a server (main) nameservers, would DA function right if I, as a RESELLER, can do so using the 2 dedicated IPs I have?

Integrity said:
2) In case that ADMIN did not assign a server (main) nameservers, would DA function right if I, as a RESELLER, can do so using the 2 dedicated IPs I have?
All those are, are the names that will be used by default in the DNS records. A reseller can certainly have his/her own nameservers. Yes, you can set that up using your two IP#s, exactly as I laid out.

Jeff

Thanks again for your reply Jeff.

How about question 1? Is it not needed?

Thanks

I guess I don't understand the question well enough to give you an answer.

If you explain the specific steps admin would have to take that you're asking about, I can go through them on one of my servers, and respond.

Jeff

Back