Crippled CentOS install

Ogdentechguy

Verified User
I hope this is the right forum for this question.

The company I work for has DirectAdmin running on a CentOS 5.0 install. The DirectAdmin seems to be working properly but the CentOS is deteriorating rapidly. This morning the OS crashed hard and after several hours I was able to get it limping along well enough to see that the websites were still there.

Clearly we need to reinstall this OS from scratch (I already tried "upgrading" it to the same version, to no avail), or perhaps switch to a Debian-based distro that we're more familiar with. However, I don't know how to back up the DirectAdmin configuration and files and then restore them to the new system. How would I do that?

Use Admin Backup/Transfer. Save the backup files. Reinstall whatever OS you want. Install DirectAdmin from scratch. Load the backup files. Use Admin Backup/Transfer to restore from the backup files.

I would do this to a brand new server or hard drive. That way no matter what you still have the original files.

Thanks for the info. Is there any benefit or drawback to using 64-bit CentOS over 32-bit? The hardware supports 64-bit and I did check to be sure that 64-bit CentOS is supported by the software.

There is a thread already discussing 64bit vs. 32bit

Back