Proftpd died, wont restart

ctnchris

Verified User
Hi, I went to restart proftpd as it had died, and it says "ok" but doesnt acually start it.

[root@box proftpd]# service proftpd status
proftpd dead but subsys locked

Im running ProFTPD Version 1.2.9

service proftpd stop
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/proftpd
service proftpd start

service proftpd status

Chris

ctnchris said:
Tryed that already, just goes back to being locked

The often workable but unnecessary fix - have you tried rebooting?

If you have and it still continues I would jump to the conclusion theres a corrupt config... or the lockfile/pid is still there...

Chris

messages:May 22 10:22:10 box proftpd[17546]: box.p44.org - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use
messages:May 22 10:22:11 box proftpd[17546]: box.p44.org - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.

I found the problem, I commented out the lines starting with ftp in xinet.d/proftpd and restarted it :)

ctnchris said:
messages:May 22 10:22:10 box proftpd[17546]: box.p44.org - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use
messages:May 22 10:22:11 box proftpd[17546]: box.p44.org - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.

I found the problem, I commented out the lines starting with ftp in xinet.d/proftpd and restarted it :)

Can you explain more what you did.

i tried looking for the xinet.d/proftpd and it is not there.

when i opened proftpd in usr/sbin its all enoded with characters.

the same problem is with my vm-pop3 so I would guess to do the same?

peace,

Aziz: don't know the exact location of that config file, but you could try to locate it with Webmin.

Xinetd always is the primary reason of things going wrong in my experiences, so far it's the reason of about 10% of my downtime on production servers.
If there's one thing you should check before doing anything on a production server is to see if Xinetd isn't going to cause problems of any kind :D

I have the same issue..

Looks like pureftpd is already running and after a ./build all it installed proftpd without removing pure.. Also it installed vm-pop3d without removing the default...

How can I get rid of proftpd/vmpop3d properly so the service status shows up correctly in DA...

I decided to switch to dovecot since this is a newer server and I didn't get a response here...

Looks like pureftpd is already running and after a ./build all it installed proftpd without removing pure.. Also it installed vm-pop3d without removing the default...
Are you writing about a new installation of DirectAdmin? On what OS distribution?
How can I get rid of proftpd/vmpop3d properly so the service status shows up correctly in DA...
ProFTPd and vm-pop3d are default daemons installed with DirectAdmin. If you want to replace ProFTPd you'll have to find instructions here or elsewhere, but you won't really get much support unless you can find someone that's already done it on a DA server and is willing to support you.

As far as vm-pop3d is concerned, the only supported replacement is to install Dovecot according to instructions published by DirectAdmin; it replaces both vm-pop3d and WU-IMAP. Instructions may be found here.

Jeff

Hi, I went to restart proftpd as it had died, and it says "ok" but doesnt acually start it.

[root@box proftpd]# service proftpd status
proftpd dead but subsys locked

Im running ProFTPD Version 1.2.9

1.2.9? Try upgradeing before you get hacked.

proftpd stopped won't restart

Well again it's year 2008 and proftpd got wacked in my directadmin installation which I did in about December 2007.
And somehow mysqld also stopped working.
It didn't take very long for somebody to crash proftpd after I installed directadmin!
Somehow I think there are some kind of security issues that are unknown in cloud 9.
I cancelled my directadmin license after this and I would suggest making some options to support vsftpd or pure-ftpd instead of proftpd!.
I am not a satisfied customer because of this and actually now not a customer anymore.
I think I'll make my own control panel.

Last edited:
That is your choice but if you really want DA to make a change you need to help by providing useful information about the problem. Obviously you do not care to do that so this post was pointless.

I know I have 73 DA servers and proftpd has never crashed. I have also run proftpd from 1999, long before I started using DA, on many servers and never had a problem with it. There are probably thousands of DA servers who do not have this problem.

So you have to ask yourself what are YOU doing to cause this problem. YOU are either doing something to cause it or its YOUR lack of security that is allowing people from the outside to crash the server.

Unless you can provide some useful information we have to assume its something YOU are doing since 99% of the people here do not have a problem with it.

proftpd stopped won't restart

Well ok, giving you and DirectAdmin the benefit of the doubt.
I went back into /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild#
and did
./build update
and
./build proftpd
and I got:
-------------------------
Done proftpd.
Restarting ProFTPd.
./build: 6067: /etc/init.d/proftpd: not found
--------------------------------------------
So now where in the world is /etc/init.d/proftpd??

But strangely enough when I tried /usr/sbin/proftpd it did start up.
So whatever. Blame it on the Unix gremlins because the last time I tried it, it did not work.
Or it was the /etc/init.d/proftpd that didn't work. In which case the ./build should at least replace the /etc/init.d/proftpd with a new version.

Last edited:
I have always used the rpm's. I have never had to build it. You also never told us what OS you were using. All of my startup scripts are in /etc/rc.d/init.d/

Back