FreeBSD server + directadmin

Meuli

FreeBSD with other services + directadmin - Possible?

I have installed my own FreeBSD server and installed a lot of services like apache2, postfix, pure-ftpd, mysql,... Now I want to run directadmin on another ip on that server. My own services bind on other IP adressess. Is it possible to install directadmin next to it without it interfering with my setup? It only installs itself in /usr/local/directadmin/ ?
thanks,

Meuli

Last edited:
It only installs the DA software itself to /usr/local/directadmin, apache, proftpd, exim etc all use standard directories... and DA does install apache 1.3.31, so you may get conflicts there...

Chris

There will definitely be conflicts; he'll need to manually change one of the apache's to use a different IP# and to not know about the other.

Likewise ftp, named (if he's going to run two daemons) and a few other services.

Mysqld will probably present problems as well, I don't think he's going to be able to easily get away with running two mysql daemons.

Me? I wouldn't do it. He may have no option.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Likewise ftp, named (if he's going to run two daemons) and a few other services.

He could just let DA install the new copies and leave the data / user configs there... (/var/named for example) That should work

jlasman said:
Mysqld will probably present problems as well, I don't think he's going to be able to easily get away with running two mysql daemons.

Same as above, don't select remove data directory and DA will simply reinstall the rpms... may need to reconfigure users though

Apache is your biggest problem, how many sites are you already running - if theres only 1 Its probably easiesr to just remove, install DA and configure it there...

Chris

thanks for all the anwsers

I am now running DirectAdmin on the same server but in a FreeBSD jail. This already gave me a lot of trouble:
* ftp PASV mode doens't work without rerouting ports with natd
* QUOTA's are not working at the moment within the jail
* installation is not just ./setup.sh :)

So I thought why not run it on the ROOT server next to the other daemons. My daemons were all installed with the ports and DA uses the packages.
I use apache2, postfix + spamassassin, pure-ftp, mysql.
DA uses apache, exim, proftp and mysql.
I am running 5 or 6 sites at the moment on that server and don't like the idea of running them on DA (without any control).

But could there be any conflicts system wise (like DA changing my own settings in crontab, rc.conf, ...), I want to stay the system administrator not DA.
thanks,

meuli

Last edited:
DA keeps its own crontab file in the cron directory (/etc/cron.d/)

so nothing should get in the way there... its on its own and seperate

With configs and such, instead of writing out the entire things again, it (in general) uses perl to replace only specific parts... nothing gets changed that isnt needed by da..

Besides initial setup and updates that you do yourself (such as customapache) all da does it what it needs to do.

If you change a users password it will change that users system password, if you add a domain it will write all the configs, if you add a dns record it will add that record, if you remove a dns record it will only remove that record..

This isn't cpanel at all - if you've tried cpanel it explains why you're so worried about things like this ;)

Chris

Back