[CPanel]I have succefully backed up my Mysql databases. What next for server change?

nickadams

Hi,

I have a website that I'm moving to a new server.

First let me stat that it's a Wordpress site, so I'm think that this should be easy but I have never done this before.

I have successfully exported MySql database for the site via cpanel.

What else do I need to back up.

P.s I know how to change nameservers, so I guess I just don't really understand all the different things that I need to back up.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Nick

@nickadams:

I can't help but be a bit curious as to whether you really need advice or if your post was simply a way to get three links to three of your sites. I've removed the links; if you can show us that you're really a DirectAdmin user with a legitimate question then you can restore them.

@massive:

Your post certainly doesn't describe all you need to do to move a site.

To move a site from one DirectAdmin-based server to another you should make a backup on the old server from your user login, then move it to the new server and restore it there.

Jeff

@jlasman

He mentioned that he is using cpanel. That's why i told him to restore through phpmyadmin.

When I see cpanel in all lower-case I presume it's short for control panel. Probably I shouldn't do that.

@nickadams, if you're really a DirectAdmin user and intend to be a regular contributor to our site please feel free to restore your sig.

Sorry,

Jeff

All of your files need to be backed up as well, so that you can move them to the new host. If you are moving from cPanel to cPanel, you can do a full site backup on your old host, then, have the new host restore the backup, and you should be all set to go.

All of your files need to be backed up as well, so that you can move them to the new host. If you are moving from cPanel to cPanel, you can do a full site backup on your old host, then, have the new host restore the backup, and you should be all set to go.

I'm moving from SEOhosting.com to hostgator. So I'm assuming since hostgator actually owns seohosting that I'm also moving from Cpanel to Cpanel.

How do I make a full site back up then?
@Jlasman
Its ok. Thanks for your kind offer to restore my sig

Last edited:
I'm moving from SEOhosting.com to hostgator. So I'm assuming since hostgator actually owns seohosting that I'm also moving from Cpanel to Cpanel.

How do I make a full site back up then?
@Jlasman
Its ok. Thanks for your kind offer to restore my sig

If your using hostgator how the heck did you end up on this forum then? they use cpanel.... yes jeff the common name for cpanel is cpanel lol

To answer your question though... the best way to backup and restore any database is with mysqldump via ssh.

backup your database
transfer your files via ssh or ftp
restore your databse and files and your set.

And of course CPanel has it's own fourms and it's own backup/restore system.

I've moved the thread again; it's certainly offtopic for DirectAdmin forums.

While we encourage all with questions and answers helpful to the community to post, we don't want them to use us strictly as a forum to get higher Google ranking. So if you (you know who you are, and so do I) continue to post here, then please stay ontopic. If you're going to post just to get your sigs noticed I'll remove them and restrict your access.

Jeff

Back