Catch All Email

barbil

Verified User
Hello,

server IP: 65.254.45.184
domain: barbilhost.com
main account name: admin

I modified the main admin POP3 email account, setting the Catch All email to go to the default [email protected] account. Then I tested it, sending an email to [email protected]. I received it. Catch all works. :cool:

I logged off "admin", and logged back on DA as user "barbil".

Then, I went thru my user accounts, checking to see how the Catch All email was set. They are all set to notify the sender that the email address does not exist, if the email is sent to anything other than [email protected]

So I tried to set the Catch All to the default user account, just as I had done in the main admin account. But, I was unable to change the setting. On each of the user accounts, I received the same error message:

Error updating Catch-All value

domain or value is empty or null

Any body know what's wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bill

Just some basics.

Does email work for any accounts? Wondering since your post in the Features & Feedback forum stated that you admin account was also not working properly.

Has email worked before and stopped recently or is this a new install?

If no email is working at all then something is wrong with exim and we can start from there.
If email is working on all account except for the catch all feature for accounts other than the admin section, the according to those error messages something might be wrong with the config files or something.

What Operating System/version are you running and are you using the latest version of directadmin?

What is your server host name? If its the same as your root domain that may be the problem as you are never supposed to have the host name the same as the admin domain that is in use. If this is the case try changing it to server.domain.com
Here is something that may help: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=16

Hello,

That means the form being used to pass the catch-all info is missing some data.

Required:

[email protected]
domain=domain.com

If you are using a different skin, try setting "&DOMAIN=domain.com" in your browser for the catch-all page so that the hidden input value in the html gets the required token.

John

Just an opinion on catchalls:

Many times users will not ever check the default user account. Don't ask me the reason; I've just found it to be so. If the catchall is turned on and set to the default user, you could wind up with extremely bloated unused mailboxes on your server.

Catchalls were useful at one time, but with Spam the way it is these days *shaking head*

I agree with Lyrictung, but I'm not sure of the answer.

For domains we set up ourselves, we set up:

abuse@
postmaster@
hostmaster@
webmaster@

as default forwards, to the username.

Then we set up a forward from username to the off-box email address our client gave us when setting up the account.

Jeff

Back