vm-Pop3d 1.1.7e stopped

barbil

Verified User
Hello,

From the Server Information screen, I read that two items were "stopped"

1) sshd
2) vm-Pop3d 1.1.7e

Are either of these necessary? Do I need to restart them, somehow?

Bill

The first is the secure shell access and if you want to be able to login or allow customers to login using ssh that must be running.
The second is the pop servers which is necassary for users to acess the server and manage email via the pop interface.

So I would suggest you at least get #2 running ;)
You should be able to do it through the control panel logged in as admin. Or depending on what Operating System you are using a Service restart command or doing it through the rc.d files.

Note that they may be running through xinetd. Xinetd is a program that does all the connection work for other programs.. once a connection is made, then the client program is started up. If nobody is logged in, there won't be any client copies of the program so DA will say it's not running. If you're not using xinetd, then the programs would be run as a daemon (standalone) and DA would show it as running even without anyone logged in.

If pop and sshd both work right now, then they're probaly using xinetd. If you an telnet to port 110, you should see a vm-pop3d header. If you see a header for another pop program, then you'll need to remove that other pop program to get vm-pop3d working.

John

I have become confused with the services being reported as down, but from the virtuozzo panel, it says they are running (which they are).
How hard is it to stop the messages going to DA that says SSHD is down? The service is not down and the message box is huge due to this message continually being sent.

Please advise...

kind regards.

jechilt said:
I have become confused with the services being reported as down, but from the virtuozzo panel, it says they are running (which they are).
How hard is it to stop the messages going to DA that says SSHD is down? The service is not down and the message box is huge due to this message continually being sent.

Please advise...

kind regards.

I took a look at your VDS server like you asked. I had two options, either tell directadmin to stop monitoring sshd and vm-pop3d or convert the two services off of xinetd. I chose to convert yours off of xinetd so directadmin could control them. I think in the long run it would be more advantages for directadmin to be able to restart the services if they do fail.

Looks like your message system has now stopped sending messages of the two failed services. I also tested the directadmin service manager to make sure you could stop and start the services there. Looks like everything is working like it should.

Let me know if you run into any more problems. As always, I'll be more than happy to log in and check it out.

thanks for the help!

what is the difference between vm-pop3d and da-popb4smtp???

jechilt said:
thanks for the help!

what is the difference between vm-pop3d and da-popb4smtp???

vm-pop3d is the servers pop deamon, or port 110 where your clients will come to pickup their mail. Each client is authenticated via username and password. If authentication is successful, your customer gets their mail.

exim on your server, is the smtp deamon running on port 25. This is where all new mail gets delivered to so the server can sort it, rule check it, spam check it, and either drop it in your customers mailbox, or forward it to another server for delivery.

da-popb4smtp is a security layer watching over the smtp deamon. Similar to spamassissin, it's main purpose is to block unwanted email from getting to your customers email boxes.

very oversimplified, the popb4smtp server checks the server logs to verify each person dropping off mail has already athenticated with the popd service.

Thanks for the explanation.
It would appear all our users use imap since we have never had a complaint of not being able to get their email...

John,

It's unlikely all your users are using imap; almost no one knows how to set it up, and by default all email clients and wizards walk everyone through pop setup.

It's more likely that your POP works.

Who do you get your VPS from? Matt at Tektonic (see the Tektonic forum) has posted on how/why they run services through xinetd instead of as daemons. Perhaps your VPS vendor is doing the same?

Jeff

Back