Optimize server

kjetiljen

Hey folks,

I am are looking for someone temporarily to optimize a few servers (in the beginning) and more it will be if the result is good.

The configuration is following:

Hardware: VMware
Version: 4
Storage: NetAPP

Virtual machine:
CPU: 2 x 2,66GHz
Memory: 4GB

DirectAdmin is build with PHP5 in CGI mode, we are running suEXEC and suPHP because we want our users to run their sites as their own user and not as "apache" because of permission problems before when we ran PHP as an module (mod_php).

Today we are experiencing some huge problems with the performance, have this one server that have like 5 customers on it and it has an load on: 8.95, 11.16, 8.97

The MySQL server is running on a separate server and that one is no problem with, it is only the web server it self.

Maybe some caching functions needs to get installed, but what I read on the net it is impossible to run with suPHP or similar?

That is why we want to have someone to look over our configuration.

If you are interested, please reply to me directly here with your contact information..

The job is paid per hour and the fee is discussable, please include that also in your submission to us in a PM.

Last edited:
So run top and see what is using all the resources.

But maybe there is some persons/guru's who can help with similar issues, who have recommendations and etc.. ?

i'm trying to get php-cgi fast loading it on ram drive reducing drive i/o

Hey folks,

I am are looking for someone temporarily to optimize a few servers (in the beginning) and more it will be if the result is good.

The configuration is following:

Hardware: VMware
Version: 4
Storage: NetAPP

Virtual machine:
CPU: 2 x 2,66GHz
Memory: 4GB

DirectAdmin is build with PHP5 in CGI mode, we are running suEXEC and suPHP because we want our users to run their sites as their own user and not as "apache" because of permission problems before when we ran PHP as an module (mod_php).

Today we are experiencing some huge problems with the performance, have this one server that have like 5 customers on it and it has an load on: 8.95, 11.16, 8.97

The MySQL server is running on a separate server and that one is no problem with, it is only the web server it self.

Maybe some caching functions needs to get installed, but what I read on the net it is impossible to run with suPHP or similar?

That is why we want to have someone to look over our configuration.

If you are interested, please reply to me directly here with your contact information..

The job is paid per hour and the fee is discussable, please include that also in your submission to us in a PM.

He we can optimize your server . Please contact us

After a simple performance test with php5-cli & php5-cgi with suphp, I got a strong contrast result.

Config:
Intel Xeon 3060 2.4G 4M L2 (dual core)
4G DDR2 667
320GB @ raid1
apache 2.2
php5-cli / php5-cgi(suphp)

The time for php5-cli to process phpinfo() in 10000 request with 500 concurrent connection with keep alive function is ~23-32 second (308 - 431 request / second)

The time for php5-cgi(suphp) to process phpinfo() in 10000 request with 500 concurrent connection with keep alive function is ~66 second (150 request / second)

In addition, I used htop to check the system status while performing the test.
I found that using cgi mode to load php is much resources consuming than running in cli, and also high load average as you said.

Conclusion:
cli - high performance with less security
cgi - low performance with high security (run with own username)

you should use php-cli + apache mod_ruid2 for have usernames owner like on php-cgi

For installation instruction search on the forum, there is a very simple how-to.

Regards

You can also try mod_fcgi that is better than suPHP but still much slower than mod_php

Back