An error has occurred while trying to update the software

ssi.inc

Verified User
I tried to update to DA 1.34 just now and got the following error. anyone have an idea what this is about?

---------------------------------------------
This is an automated message notifying you that an error has occurred while trying to update the software.
The generated error message is as follows:

Error restoring file /usr/local/directadmin/update.tar.gz :
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
/bin/tar: Child returned status 1
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
: tar returned error code 512<br>
<br>
<br>
Try updating manually: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29<br>

Please contact JBMC-Software, including the error message. Failure to do so could result in an inactive control panel.

Read the file. It's most likely an error message.

Jeff

"You are not allowed to run this program"

Why is it that error messages only make sense to the people who wrote them?

As is turns out, if anyone is even slightly interested in knowing, this particular issue is caused by a suspended DirectAdmin license. For whatever reason, I was not informed that there was a billing issue and my license was suspend.

I would hope that in the future better feed back from the automatic update error, or a more intuitive error message from the manual update process could be provided.

Hello,

The credit card processor should be sending you an email if there is a billing issue. We keep the error we output very vague intentionally to prevent people from randomly trying values until they get to the next error message. All license issues return the same message. Ultimately, if there is a licensing issue, you'd have to email us regardless and we can tell you pretty quick what the issue is.

From your point of view however, I can understand that it would be nice to know what the problem is, through DA, right away. I'll see what I can do to securely give more information about license issues through DA.

John

I guess I found myself thinking like a customer in this situation. If I had considered the issue from service provider's point of view I may have come up with the need to keep the error messages vague.

I think this all started out with the CC processor not sending me an email when billing failed. I assume this is beyond your immediate control and like most merchants, all you can do is submit a complaint to your CC processor.

In the end the issue is resolved, I am a less confused customer, and a happy customer. Thanks for your help John.

IP problem

The Ip that DA is registered with is different from the IP being use to wget/curl how can i download this file to update!

Im almost positive you can bind wget to the ip that you want. Read the man page.

Back