New User

s2tephen

Verified User
Hi
I am thinking of buying this product

I have a 120 gig h/d and would like to know the best format confi to use ie partition sizes.
I want to use a large proportion of this to store files on maybe 60 gig to be able to access via FTP.
I am thinking of installing RedHat ver 9 what components would I need to install.
I have a domain.com ready and adsl with 2 i/p addresses ready.
Please info in basic terms as im learning.
Anyone in uk who could help via phone would be nice

Many thanks
Stephen

We use this configuration:

/boot 40 meg
swap 2 x memory
/ rest of drive

It works best for us, Your results may vary - and I'm sure jlasman will disagree on the /boot size, but hey, whatever works for you :)

For a 120GB drive I would probably suggest:

/boot 50mb
/tmp 500mb (mount with nosuid and noexec)
/var 10/25gb (depending on mail usage and log rotation settings)
/ rest

If you dont have direct access to the system, or access is difficult (non local datacentre or rented server) you may want to forget the /var partition as you will need direct access for partitioning (you dont.... but I dont recommend resizing and active partition either)

hostpc.com said:
and I'm sure jlasman will disagree on the /boot size

It really doesnt matter, and its all a matter of personal preference - it's not going to affect the server if it's 20mb or 20gb, it simply, you probably wont use more than 20mb in one year if you keep every existing kernel from that year there!... if you want to keep every previous kernel there for some reason then you may use it.

we generally keep the most recent 2 kernels (always have a rollback there) and remove any prior to them... space usage is less than 10mb.

Chris

hostpc.com said:
I'm sure jlasman will disagree on the /boot size, but hey, whatever works for you :)
Well, as long as you bring it up:
Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md3              980M  132M  799M  15% /
/dev/md4               99M   14M   80M  14% /boot
/dev/md0               27G  2.9G   22G  12% /home
none                  250M     0  250M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/md1              2.9G  1.1G  1.6G  39% /usr
/dev/md2              5.8G  1.8G  3.7G  33% /var

(from a randomly chosen system)

Jeff

Back