Directadmin v Cpanel

webhostau

Verified User
I m looking at purchasing Directadmin, not sure how different it will be to me as a server host and my customers.
Would someone please explain if my customers will have a reseller control panel and user control panel.

Cheers,
Support Team

the best thing about DA is that you have 1 login to administer all your accounts. lets say you need to help someone do something you can just login as admin and then login as them without having their password and fix something. plus it only uses 1 port unlike cpanels 4. webmail is also available outside the control panel and none of that double login stuff.

it doesn't have all the features as cpanel, and hence it doesn't have all the bugs. it is a much faster and a more secure panel, although it doesn't really have auto-updates so you do need to be more familiar with it. Support is great, developers reply in this forum every day, along with it's great following of system admins. i think it is much nicer looking and way easier to work with, especially as an admin, but also as a user.

but don't take my word for it, play with the demo.

http://www.directadmin.com/demo.html

check it out.

kool thanks..

Awesome fast response. Anyone else have good vibes about DA.

Cheers,
Team Support

i have much more :p they listen to feature requests....if enough people request something they will put it in (and of course if they think it is worth while)

they are nice and quick on bug fixes (and there arn't very many useually)

most peoples complaints were that it was ugly but they just released an awesome new skin to fix that problem.

it includes a ticketing system too, to give support to your clients via the panel.

it integrates with a great billing system (whois.cart, only $35 USD) and of course modernbill.

again my biggest selling point was stability and security, i didn't like how cpanel would just update something and then it would stop working, or have some major bugs.

accurate quotas too, (i remember cpanel's being broken)

plus it's quite a bit cheaper :)

i don't know what any one else can say

once you go DA you never go back (oh yeah i am no way affiliated with DA, just a happy user)

cheers

Re: kool thanks..

webhostau said:
Anyone else have good vibes about DA.
Sure. This is DA support forum, so everyone has only good to say about DA.

My personal favourite feature is that you can host as many domains as you want with one user (don't need to be reseller) account and manage all files with one control panel or ftp login. So now i host all my sites (right now its 12 domains) on same account and can quickly manage all sites with one login without need to remember lots of logins/passwords.

excellent feedback

I am loving the feedback to work on with, the new server is coming in a few days time. Decision time to got with cpanel or DA has to be made. Thanks for the information folks!!

I like the (optional) full dns control for users, unlike cpanel.
Another feature is the easy integration of Direct Admin in to PHP scripts (with l0rdphi1's communication class).
Also, the great forums and fantastic tech support :)

Re: Re: kool thanks..

CyberAlien said:
My personal favourite feature is that you can host as many domains as you want with one user (don't need to be reseller) account and manage all files with one control panel or ftp login. So now i host all my sites (right now its 12 domains) on same account and can quickly manage all sites with one login without need to remember lots of logins/passwords.

This might appear a silly question but are you referring to an account that is a normal "User" account and not an admin account. If so I would be interested to know how you setup your different domain accounts.

Thanks

Jon

I beleive he means under a normal user account. You can create as many domains (domains slots, parking whatever you want to call it) in the user level, that is if your allowed by your reseller. They do not have individual logins though, one login and you manage all of the domains.

We've found multiple domain accounts to be popular with our client base.

Jeff

jmstacey said:
I beleive he means under a normal user account. You can create as many domains (domains slots, parking whatever you want to call it) in the user level, that is if your allowed by your reseller. They do not have individual logins though, one login and you manage all of the domains.

So the user's extra domains do not have web space or email - they are parked on the main account?

Jon

Hello,

You can create additional full fledged domains on the same user account. Each domain on the user account can have it's own email setting, ftp, ssl, domain parking, *everything*. They're their own domain, no relation to the next :)

John

Re: Re: kool thanks..

CyberAlien said:
you can host as many domains as you want with one user (don't need to be reseller) account and manage all files with one control panel or ftp login
Strictly speaking, CPanel has this too. but it's a poor and buggy implementation:cool:

(with CPanel it's known as add-on domains, I think)

Moderator/s Please Note

I'm a tad concerned that a thread this helpful should be left deeply buried in the "Off Topic Discussion" area.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Surely a thread about DA is is off-topic there?!?!?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Where else should it go? It's not really out of place since it deals with cpanel. Plus, this is a little off topic don't you think which makes this the perfect forum :p

Back