subdomains

apostle

Verified User
I have seen many questions about setting up subdomains. And i understand those. One i haven't seen yet is say i own example.com with the reseller login example. So i upload my website and then i install my forum board to the folder "forums". How would i set it up that forums.example.com points to http://server/~example/forums I don't want to create a user account just for the forums and set it up with the domain forums.example.com like other posts have said to.

all i did was add the subdomain, forums.example.com in the control panel (in the user panel), then installed my forum in /home/user/public_html/forums/ which it automatically created

forums.example.com will lead to the same place as www.example.com/forums/

hope this helps.

oh yeah, please note because this has to do with DNS it does take a day or so to propegate...so if you create forums.example.com it won't work right away.

vandal said:
oh yeah, please note because this has to do with DNS it does take a day or so to propegate...so if you create forums.example.com it won't work right away.
It shouldn't. Because you're not creating a new domain, for example, forums.example.com should work immediately.

The exception would be that if you try to see it on your system before you've entered it, your nameserver (the one your desktop system is using) will store the negative response (no such domain) for the TTL.

Jeff

Back