For some real competition, how about Solaris?

falcon7

I know this is all Linux geeks around here,
but if I were running DA and seeing all my competition
locked into the Linux distro wars- I'd look for something
that really sets DA apart. You could do that by
supporting a strong, supported mainstream OS
for big-iron: Solaris.
Our company, for one, would buy piles of those
licenses.

It would be way easier than a Windows port, and
open up a whole, new, rich market.

james

Tell us a bit about Solaris...

For example, will Sun give DA a Solaris license or licenses for building/testing, or will DA have to buy them?

Where can we find the pricing?

Does Solaris now come with development tools, or must those still be bought separately (DA is written in C, if I recall correctly, and requires development tools as part of the installation and updating procedures)?

If not, can the gnu tools be easily installed and used on Solaris, or must every user purchase tools from Sun for each system?

Does Sun Solaris licensing have per-user login or other per-user limitations?

I know I could find this out on the 'net, but since you're evangalizing, maybe you know the answers.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Tell us a bit about Solaris...

For example, will Sun give DA a Solaris license or licenses for building/testing, or will DA have to buy them?
Solaris 10 is now free (just released Jan 30, 2005):
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/

Also, parts of Solaris will be open sourced too:
http://www.opensolaris.org/
Does Solaris now come with development tools, or must those still be bought separately (DA is written in C, if I recall correctly, and requires development tools as part of the installation and updating procedures)?

If not, can the gnu tools be easily installed and used on Solaris, or must every user purchase tools from Sun for each system?
GCC and all other dev tools are all freely available. There's even a repository of pre-complied packages available at:

http://www.sunfreeware.com/
(be sure to select a mirror for downloading)

Does Sun Solaris licensing have per-user login or other per-user limitations?
God no -- they're not M$... ;)

I know I could find this out on the 'net, but since you're evangalizing, maybe you know the answers.

Also, I'm willing to set up a dedicated SPARC box for DA dev team to use as a development / testing platform.

Robb Ottenhoff
Sysadmin

I have been looking at colocating some Netra servers with Solaris and would like to use DirectAdmin on them. Will DirectAdmin on Solaris every happen?

I haven't heard anything on it, wouldn't rule it out in the future, but I don't see it happening in the near future at least.

I hope it won't happen until JBMC becomes a much larger company and hires a bunch more people.

They're already supporting a lot of different versions, and that just makes it harder to manage updates and find/fix bugs.

Jeff

It's to bad emoticons don't show up properly otherwise I'd put the one with two guys cheering with beer mugs :p

Back