Blocklists: Which work, which don't, etc.

interfasys

Verified User
I think it would be worth having a sticky in the Spamblocker forum to keep track about which lists work, are recommended, etc.
Everybody is free to do what they want, but having some up to date comments would help everybody.

Also, it's worth making the difference between lists that can be used to block spams vs the ones that should only be used to hint at spam and take other actions like warn, defer, etc.

If this discussion should take place somewhere else, like a Spam filtering forum, then a link would be appreciated.

Here are my questions:

1) It seems list.dnswl.org gets poisoned sometimes. I'm wondering how often this is happening? Is it still a safe list to use?

2) safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net was removed from spamblocker, but helps catch the ones that spamhaus and junkemailfilter let through. Worth keeping or should people stay away? Should we just keep a few from sorbs and exclude dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net if that's what people are scared of?

3) Spam rats is not included. I'm testing it to help score messages and it catches those email addresses that are not yet included in big lists. Some IPs have been spamming for days and have yet to make it to junkemailfilter (some made it). Is anybody else testing it? Reliable?

4) dnsbl.njabl.org and cbl.abuseat.org are still listed in Spamblocker but are already included in zen.spamhaus.org. Shouldn't it be removed?

5) nomail.rhsbl.sorbs.net seems to be useful. Too generic?

6) drone.abuse.ch is another list I'm testing. So far, it hasn't detected anything that wasn't detected by others. Did anybody else test it?

7) 127.0.0.4 from Junkemailfilter seems useful for scoring. What do you think?

How can we help those lists when we find senders or servers that are not caught? Spamcop has a report feature. Any other place we can use?

Thanks for reading ;)

Olivier

Which version of SpamBlocker exim.conf are you using?

The configuration I use in the Spamblocker exim.conf.3.2.4-RC on my website works very well for me.

A discussion is perhaps a good idea, but I'm sure you'll find at least as many opinions as there are serious users.

Jeff

I'm using 3.2.4-RC with noslisting and anti-phishing.
It's working pretty well and the servers are not at risk of overloading. It's just tiring to see the same spams over and over in the spam box.

I just wanted to see if a discussion was worth having, just to keep everybody updated on the status of lists used in SB.

It certainly is. If you believe I've overlapped or made some incorrect decisions, please feel free to send an email to the address below, in my siglines; that'll put it into my tickler system for working on it as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks.

Jeff

Back