Users with 'backupsickness'

Icheb

Verified User
Hi there,

'Theoretical situation':
What would happen if you have a few users, say happely using about 4 or 5 GB per user. (Let's say you have 10 of those users, just for the fun of it.)
And they decide to run a backup, no problemo, only problem is 5 of the 10 users run it at the same time.
Now steam is coming from the server processor as it's trying to tar up 5x5=25 GB of data. The load starts to exponentially increase upto a point the Apache HTTP daemon resigns and asks you to serve the sites yourself (to put it in a nice way).
Your harddrive is gradually running out of diskspace, but still the users are within there limit.

After half an hour of so-called 'downtime' the rest of the 10 users start calling you to see why the heck all of there (download) sites are down. After you finally realise what is going on, the backup is finished, good and mighty DA restarts what's left of Apache and starts serving again at a normal pace. But now, yet another problem arrives, the users who were backupping earlier now start sucking there dear (and loved) data back to there own computers, as they don't trust the hosting provider anymore due to some downtime in the past half hour. No one can now see pages at a normal speed.
The Apache server status reports rather normal, once you realise 5 frequently backupping users are like a gunshot through your head, they have already chosen another provider. Which would be no problem if they didn't pay for you being alive :D

This is just a big exagerated, but i hope you can see what i mean with it. Is there a way to limit the number of backups allowed running if the load is > x ?
Or just give an error message back to the user; "We are sorry, but running a backup isn't allowed at this time for uptime reasons" (do not take that example message serious) or something...

Just moving users of the server is not really a good solution, as more and more users find the backup switch and start hitting it like crazy monkey's on a typewriter... (just to give you a general idea)

Yeah, this message is supposed to be a feature request or a 'help me resolve this' request, but i'm in a funny mood :D

edit: excuse me for any typo's; English still isn't my primary language.

Icheb said:
'Theoretical situation':
Actually it's a reasonable scenario.
Yeah, this message is supposed to be a feature request or a 'help me resolve this' request, but i'm in a funny mood
The best way to solve the problem (the way we do it) is to have enough system capacity and transit capacity, so as to not limit your users. That's the way we do it.
excuse me for any typo's; English still isn't my primary language.
And never can be, as "primary language" usually refers to the language you learned as a child. For example, my ex-wife's primary language is German, even though she speaks it very little.

You're excused :) .

Jeff

Back