No domain

apostle

Verified User
Here's another question. I'm totally new to DA so bare with me. Lets say i own examplehosting.com. And i want all new users with no domain to be subdomains: examplehosting.com/user. How would i go about doing this? And what would I put in for the domain on creation?

-Thanx for all your guys help!

this is just a guess,

but i think you would have to add the subdomain under your user tab, add an ftp user to that path, add any e-mail accounts for them. i'm not 100% sure if this can be done for an end user scenario, but i may be wrong.

seeing how if you add it as a 'domain' it will add zone records and all that.

but maybe someone here knows a better way.

subdomains: examplehosting.com/user.
That bit is confusing to me.

A subdomain would be 'user.examplehosting.com' and not 'examplehosting.com/user'.

If you are after a true subdomain, then this isn't complicated at all. When you create an account for your new user in DA, simply enter "user.examplehosting.com" as his/her domain. DA will do the rest. Your new user will be able to login and use DA as any other domained user.

Now, in the case we need 'examplehosting.com/user', I think the easiest solution is to setup an AliasMatch or mod_rewrite rule in httpd.conf to map examplehosting.com/user to user.examplehosting.com. Then you can setup your examplehosting.com/user accounts as 'user.examplehosting.com' in DA, just like I showed in my above example :)

Good luck.

Phi1.

Yes. DA will create all files as if the subdomain was an actual domain.

l0rdphi1 said:
If you are after a true subdomain, then this isn't complicated at all. When you create an account for your new user in DA, simply enter "user.examplehosting.com" as his/her domain. DA will do the rest. Your new user will be able to login and use DA as any other domained user.

It does work ... but on my server when you try to access "user.examplehosting.com" the page is not found and of course "examplehosting.com/~user/" shows.

any ideas?

Brian.

Hmm. I did not modify anything to get this working.

Are you running the latest version of DA? Check and make sure DA created an A record for the new subdomain in examplehosting.com's zone file.

DA did not create an A record for the subdomain under the "examplehosting.com" DNS records. So I manually added it and nothing changed ... page not found

So I logged in under the "user" and checked it's DNS records and found the A records for "user.examplehosting.com" but there was not an A record for "examplehosting.com"... I added a new A record for "examplehosting.com" and the subdomain showed up! :D

My host is using DA 1.21.3 ... hopefully the update will fix the issue.

Brian.

Back