technical dummy question on DNS setting

onea

Verified User
I am a tech dummy which have just bought a dedicated hosting with DA installed. Hope my questions are not stupid? Hope someone won't mind my too simple question and give me advise.

Facts:
my primary domain for submitted to setup this dedicated is onea.us

I find that all new domain set here comes with the default ns1.onea.us & ns2.onea.us which is expected.

The primary IP for this server is: 206.51.225.50

My hope:
For no special reason, but just want to explore the truth as a kid.

I want to achieve 2 things on one domain - goal2.com

1. set the IP to be 206.51.225.52

2. set the DNS name server to be ns1.goal2.com & ns2.goal2.com

What I have done:
user level > goal2.com > Your Account > DNS Management

Then I simply type in what I hope to be as:
ftp A 206.51.225.52
goal2.com. A 206.51.225.52
localhost A 206.51.225.52
mail A 206.51.225.52
pop A 206.51.225.52
www A 206.51.225.52
goal2.com. NS ns1.goal2.com.
goal2.com. NS ns2.goal2.com.

Of course, with all the old deleted.

Then I go to my domain registrar to point the DNS to ns1.goal2.com & ns2.goal2.com

Result:
Error prompts on during DNS pointing on domain registrar:

*****Error modifying name servers: Nameserver NS1.GOAL2.COM cannot be registered*****

I have waited 24 hours, and try but fail again.

My stupid question:
Is my new setup of DNS nameserver itself need to be propagated for the DNS pointer to recognize?

Or I have missed any step?

Besides, the DNS there is a problem with the IP too. When I go to the admin level and go to:

Admin Level > Admin Tools > IP Management

I see the following, which seems that the IP 206.51.225.52 set for this goal2.com have not be utilized!

IP Status User
206.51.225.50 server 29 255.255.255.0
206.51.225.51 free 255.255.255.0
206.51.225.52 free 255.255.255.0

what's missing?

onea said:
what's missing?
Two things...
Then I go to my domain registrar to point the DNS to ns1.goal2.com & ns2.goal2.com

Result:
Error prompts on during DNS pointing on domain registrar:

*****Error modifying name servers: Nameserver NS1.GOAL2.COM cannot be registered*****
Before you can assign a nameserver to a domain you must register the nameserver. How that's done differes from registrar to registrar, but you'll have to register ns1.goal2.com and ns2.goal2.com with the registrar you used for goal2.com before you can assign them to any domains.
Is my new setup of DNS nameserver itself need to be propagated for the DNS pointer to recognize?
No, only that the nameservers be registered.
Or I have missed any step?
Just registering the nameservers.
Besides, the DNS there is a problem with the IP too. When I go to the admin level and go to:

Admin Level > Admin Tools > IP Management

I see the following, which seems that the IP 206.51.225.52 set for this goal2.com have not be utilized!

IP Status User
206.51.225.50 server 29 255.255.255.0
206.51.225.51 free 255.255.255.0
206.51.225.52 free 255.255.255.0
Changing the IP# for a domain with DA isn't as simple as just changing DNS. In fact you really don't have to change DNS manually; when you follow the steps below DA will change it for you:

First you must assign the IP# to the reseller responsible for the domain; that could be "admin" if the domain exists under the admin "user" control panel or as a domain user set up under the admin's reseller control panel. You do that from your admin control panel, using "IP Manager".

Then, logged in as that reseller (again, it could be the admin "reseller" control panel) you assign the IP# to the domain name. You do that under "List/Modify Accounts), then click on the account for which you want to modify the IP#, then click on (middle button at the top) "Modify User". Then select the proper IP# from the dropdown, and click on the save button next to the dropdown.

That will properly assign the IP# to the domain and in most cases properly change DNS.

Jeff

THANKS Jeff, q. on user under reseller

My sincere thanks for your kind patience and detail clear reply. I have jump started :D

THANKS again for your kind assistance in advance.

Last edited:
Re: Re: technical dummy question on DNS setting

jlasman said:
First you must assign the IP# to the reseller responsible for the domain; that could be "admin" if the domain exists under the admin "user" control panel or as a domain user set up under the admin's reseller control panel. You do that from your admin control panel, using "IP Manager".

Then, logged in as that reseller (again, it could be the admin "reseller" control panel) you assign the IP# to the domain name. You do that under "List/Modify Accounts), then click on the account for which you want to modify the IP#, then click on (middle button at the top) "Modify User". Then select the proper IP# from the dropdown, and click on the save button next to the dropdown.

That will properly assign the IP# to the domain and in most cases properly change DNS.

Jeff

Thanks! This is what I needed.

Back