SpamBlocker Not working As Intended

topdog

Verified User
Hi,
I've just installed Spam Blocker 3, and setup a soft link from domains to use_rbl_domains. Use_rbl_domains have all the domains from my server in it.
Now, my situation is that when I put in the blacklist_domains file, a domain, for instance, gmail.com, and someone sends from gmail.com to an address on my server, the mail indeed does not come through, but the person also does not receive an email that there email address was blocked.
I've attached my exim.conf for version 3 of spam blocker if required. The file name is exim-config.txt since this bulletin board system does not permit the CONF extension.
If someone can have a look and let me know whether or not, if I setup something incorrectly in this file?
Thanks.

Attachments

• exim-config.txt
    41.1 KB · Views: 159
I haven't read your entire file, and likely won't unless you want to hire me to help you (like many publishers of open-source software I depend on support to make a living :)).

However I did do some checking of your file.

The version you're using makes use of two external whitelists: list.dnswl.org and hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com (special return). It calls these before it calls local blocklists (perhaps it shouldn't; comments welcome).

Since gmail should be listed in one of the whitelists, mail from gmail should always go through.

However, when SpamBlocker's blocklists block an email it doesn't send an email back; it simply blocks the sender from sending the email, returning the message defined in the message clause to the server trying to send the mail. It's up to that server to react to the message; most do by sending you back an email with the message included; I don't know what gmail does.

You can see what your server did by checking the exim reject.log file.

Jeff

I actually got email working. There was a missing whitelist file somewhere. The RBL seems to be working as well, as stuff like:
Email blocked by zen.spamhaus.org
Appears in my exim logs.

Back