Installatron

jjma

Verified User
Hello,

If after buying the plugin Installatron and a security errata is released for one of the software packages installed, how long does it take for that security patch to make its way into Installatron?

rgds

Jon

Good Question

That's a good question. Hopefully they can script something on their end so they don't have to manually check and update packages.

Also is it possible for Installatron to update packages that it has installed? Say that I installed OSCommerce 1.0 and then 1.2 comes out. Is there away to integrate this into installatron? Or are they all to proprietary about how they update?

thx
brandt

We do a check for script updates once per week. And I should note that we aim to have the latest _well tested_ and _stable_ version of the script, not nessessarily the most recently-released version.

But what you're both really talking about here is _upgrading_ of existing installs, which is something on our todo list (and the seeds of such functionality are already in Installatron), but it will only be something we will attempt fully after every other little Installatron feature is working to optimal effect.

There's a reason why no auto-installer to date (that I'm aware of) handles upgrading of installed scripts -- not even Fantastico -- and that's because upgrading is a lot more difficult to support than straight installing.

Straight installing isn't even that easy to do, but upgrading existing installs is far more difficult to support over long term.

Phil and I have talked at length about ways we could do it, and it will be something we take a genuine swing at in the future.

Sumaleth said:
But what you're both really talking about here is _upgrading_ of existing installs, which is something on our todo list (and the seeds of such functionality are already in Installatron), but it will only be something we will attempt fully after every other little Installatron feature is working to optimal effect.

Maybe upgrading is not quite the right word here. I was more thinking along the lines of patching.

Jon

jjma said:
Maybe upgrading is not quite the right word here. I was more thinking along the lines of patching.

Jon
It would actually be the same process, whether upgrading or patching.

Perhaps there's the possibility of using DA's message system to notify users of new versions or patches of scripts they have installed. Although that would be no trivial addition either. We really need to make some time available in the future to plan it all out and implement upgrading/patching properly.

Sumaleth said:
It would actually be the same process, whether upgrading or patching.

Perhaps there's the possibility of using DA's message system to notify users of new versions or patches of scripts they have installed. Although that would be no trivial addition either. We really need to make some time available in the future to plan it all out and implement upgrading/patching properly.
The messaging Idea is a good one. But really, as you probably already are thinking, this is not a priority for users of Installatron. Users of these types of scripts should be responsible for keeping them up to date.
Although it would be REALLY nice :D to have the ability in Itron adding more scripts and working out little permissions bugs and that kind of stuff is really the priority for most of us I would think.

Thanks again! I'm having a blast with this.

Brandt

motobrandt said:
Users of these types of scripts should be responsible for keeping them up to date.
I agree with you, but I feel that when we automate the install it's reasonable for our clients to anticipate we'll keep it up to date for them.

Jeff

Hello,

I would have to agree with the last post and acknowlege that once you have taken the automated route your users would expect the updates to be installed via that same route. I personally do not give ssh access to any of my users so I would have to do the upgrades myself for each user, which takes a bit of the gloss of ease of use idea.

I could be wrong but I would expect most users would be floundering if asked to install their own security patches, updates if they had had no experince gained from the initial setup process.

That could be a big disencitive for sys admins not to allow the software because the users would not update it.

regards

Jon

You don't need to convince us that it'll be a cool feature, we've had it on the drawing board since day one. :)

(It's interesting to note that Fantastico is used on tens of thousands of cPanel servers but has never supported upgrading or patching of installed scripts.)

Row.

Back