Restoring User Backups to new server

howlets

Verified User
I have ftp'd the user backup files over from my old server (shared) to a new server (dedicated). Tried restoring user backups using the server IP - not the one on the backup, and the first 9 worked ok, but all the others fail with the error messages shown here....
User howlet01.tar.gz has been restored
Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/iceage01.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/iceage01 as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/jasonm01.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/jasonm01 as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/jukest.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/jukest as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/kingswood.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/kingswood as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/madfie01.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/madfie01 as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/maryland.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/maryland as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/paulduggan.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/paulduggan as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/royston.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/royston as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/spdsup.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/spdsup as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/surreymake.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/surreymake as howlet01 :

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/howlet01/user_backups/wedice01.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/howlet01/user_backups/wedice01 as howlet01 :

Any ideas?

when i did my transfer, i created each single user account (must use the same user name as they were in the old server) at the new server, copy over each user's backup to it's backups directory, and run restore from user panel, i managed to restore most of them.

i've encountered many times same error as you've seen, but i was wondering since you've restored 9 of them, the rest should work as well. anyway, if there are not so many websites, you can try restore them one by one.

DA support, what is the standard methord when transfering accounts to a new server? i'm also trying to figure out if we need to creat each users account first? :confused:

you may want to check those backup's permission, i think set them owned as "root" could be helpful.

tried changing ownership to root and re-running the restore - but no joy....

just about to recreate all the accounts and restore individually as suggested....
:(

Hello,

Try manually extracting those files:

tar xvzf username.tar.gz

to see if there are any errors in them.

John

they can be untard manually but they untar to the user_backups directory....

Did you get this working yet? I was interested in moving sites to a new server this weekend myself.

Hello,

The program that returned the error is:

tar xzfp /home/howlet01/user_backups/user.tar.gz -C /home/howlet01/user_backups/user backup/user.conf

So you can try to run that (make sure /home/howlet01/user_backups/user exists)

John

In the end I restored what i could through DA - then did what neorder suggested and restored them one by one....

Back