Configuring DNS to use WINS with DNSCMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondoggy

Verified User
We have a primary zone setup in our Microsoft Windows 2003 DNS that is is configured to use WINS to resolve names not found by querying the DNS namespace. To configure this with the MMC we select the zone properties, select the WINS tab and check the "Use WINS forward lookup", ckeck the "do not replaced this record" and we specify the IP address of the WINS server. My question is this....

Is there a command line command that I can execute to replace the IP address of the WINS server with a different Address? I've searched the internet and so far I've been unable to find any command line utility line DNSCMD that will allow me t change the IP address. If such a command exists, can someone please provide me with the name of the utility and an example of the syntax?.

Does this have anything to do with DNS on a server used for webhosting with DirectAdmin?

Jeff

No. We conduct disaster recovery testing by cloning a Windows 2003 domain controller running on VMWare and then restoring the clone on another VMWare host that is in an isolated environment that cannot comunicate with the rest of the network. The isolated cloned DC is also running DNS and WINS for the isolated enviroment and along with changing the IP address of the DC itself we need to reset the WINS Zone to point to a different address other than the one it had when it was cloned. We would like to run a command line utility to make this change instead of the GUI if we can determine if a command exists to perfrom this change. So far, no luck.

If this is a Windows question then you need to ask it in a Windows forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back