MBill vs WhoisCart

rldev

Verified User
Can someone familiar with both programs tell me which one has better DA integration at this time? I have been looking on the MBill forum and the DA module thread hasn't had a post in two weeks(not good if you ask me).

Thanks.

It's not about better integration so much as it's about whether the features it offers work for you.

Several people I know who started with Whois.Cart switched to ModernBill.

I responded to another thread on this subject a few days ago with information as to the various features and how they're implemente don the two packages.

Jeff

Who is using Modernbill with DA?

I changed the question a bit. Who is using MBill and DA together? How is it working? What are some of the basic issues? Has MB been responsive to DA development and requests? I ask because I see no acitivity in the MB forum for the DA api module. Thanks.

I started with whois.cart and have moved to modernbill.
They are very responsive and helpful and fixed a problem it had with curl soon enough.
Now its working perfectly, only downside but it affects all billing systems that I know of is it doesn't have the capability to process variable plans only preset ones.

My understanding is that you can manually add extra charges and they'll show up on the same bill.

Have you tried that?

Jeff

I haven't tried it yet.
Since you can make your own signup templates, I'm assuming that I can just write my own custom one and have it put the variables into modernbill and it will take it from there. I haven't looked into it yet.

Why switching to ModernBill?

I've been looking for a billing solution too and been looking at both MB and Whoiscart and so far really like Whoiscart until I see this thread.

Can someone tell me why people moved from Whoiscart to MB? Is it due to product features or integration?

I really like to know.

I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks.

There are 3 issues I have with the whoiscart

There are 3 issues I have with the whoiscart , listed below .

1. Is the difficulty I have had in setting the programme to work fully .
2. I feel that there is a security issue that needs to be approached by whoiscart in regards the password encyrption . I believe this is very important .
3. I am unhappy to carry the whois.cart() © saeven.net link without a choice , which is at the bottom of the script .

This leaves me with only 2 alternatives .

My first alternative in order to have this programme working fully; is to ask and probably pay to have the programme setup to work . The other choice I have is to delete the programme altogether .

All said and done ....I must choose the second alternative to delete the programme .

I leave any possiblity of a refund at your descretion .

Thanks for your input.

What are you currently using for you billing/client management may I ask?

Thanks,
Tom

We're still doing billing by hand.

But we're actively looking, and considering.

And one of our choices is writing our own.

(I've written complete accounting systems in the past.)

Jeff

The problems with building your ownBilling system

Don't ask me if it's better to build your own Billing system ...I am whacked out !

I started to build my system back in Nov 03 , after a customer demanded to know where her Domain name area was , uptil then I was manually processing.

There are so many hurdles to get over and each month I have a surge forward ....for-instance June was a bit of programming to verify the date of expiry (perl) , but then I am exhusted again and have other things to catch up with ...(besides those pesky new customers )

When I get to the end (if ever) I will probably create a script to self replicate for multiple users .

But as I said it's hard work and I gota learn on my feet whilst I create often .

I thought that whoicart would be a shortcut and I could watch TV and wait for our fortune roll in . To their credit ...it's fairly good , but not quite there yet for me and another I have spoken too .

That is also the main reason I switched to MB.
I could never get whoiscart to work fully, and didn't do to well when trying to add existing users manaually without going through the signup sheet with accounts that were already created and active in directadmin.

Did you get API working ?

I got everthing working except for the API end .

If anyone got that going right ...then we could get a fully working programme ...(perhaps)

There would only remain one other thing to do ...encrypt the API password in the directadmin_1_config.php , this I think is important ,even though Whoiscart support argued that provided a server is secure and updated ,it was safe ..I dunno , it seems to me , that one can not always guarantee these things , thats one reason for backups .

Though I will be honest ...I do not understand the difference between the cpanel and the directadmin APIs .... and I felt that whoiscart help were playing a cat and mouse game and were not forthcomming in explaining what the difference was .

They asked me if I was using both ?
I said thats right ...is that wrong .......and they said thats fine .

I gave up about then . (who needs that sort of help ?)

Last edited:
Has no one got the Whoiscart API to work ?

I guess that no-one has got the whoiscart to work API .

Still good news , after some communication with Whoiscart , the config File password change of storage has been reconsidered .

Well thats what I think it says .

written by ; Alexandre Lemaire
President, saeven.net consulting

"Sparing you a diatribe, unfortunately they will remain as plain-text in these configuration files until Silverstar's release where they will be stored database side.

We appreciate your patience til then - you will have access to it once it is released.

Regards.
Alexandre

Back