DNS question

wombat

Verified User
I just have a simple dns question ( or 2 ) I have set-up ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net using DA. Then at my domain registry I have registered the two IPs as namesevers ( ns1.example.net = myip1, ns2.example.net = myip2 ) If I do not wish to run any other services from that domain apart from DNS, do I also have to delegate example.net to ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net or is the assignment of nameserver IPs enough for DNS to work.

My second question is, what is the general opinion about using DA to create nameserver on one box VS using external dns provider like zoneedit. What is a better solution and why?

I'm not sure what you mean by delegate. Do you mean at your registrar?

You must create the nameservers at your registrar where you registered the domain.

Then for each domain to use the nameservers, you must create the delegation at those domains' registrar.

As far as using DA as a stand alone DNS box, I'd recommend against it.

To set up the zones through DA you'd have to do it completely manually, as the automatic setup would create DNS for the nameserver box's IP#s.

Yes you could set up DNS completely manually for domains, but it's a lot easier to just create a few scripts to handle DNS.

Since every domain hosted on a given IP# can share the same (properly written) zone file there's no reason to do manual DNS; a simple script can add domains to DNS easily, and you can remove them just as easily.

If you really need a complete management solution for manually adding/modifying/deleting DNS, take a look at this project.

Jeff

Thanks for your answer. I think I haven't explained my question very well, sorry. I am aware of the procedure that you describe: Create nameservers at the registrar and then delegate other domains (myclient.com) to the namservers. What I am not sure about: The actual domain name that is the nameserver. (ns1.xyz.net), does that also have to be delegated? I haven't done that so when I try dig xyz.net the A record still points to my registrars IP address. And when I try dig ns1.xyz.net, well, that record simply does not exist at all. So I gues my question is, now that I have created ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net, do I have to go back to my registrar and delegate xyz.net to ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net.

Never mind. I think after a day of searching for the info I got the aswer: No.
Once the nameservers and the ip numbers are propagated, it should work. What got me confused was the time difference between delegating a domain name and registering a namesrver. While delegation takes 12 hours, it takes (suposedly) 72 hours for nameservers to be propagated. Hope this is correct, if it still won't work when I get out of bed tommorow then its some other problem ;)

If you're having problems, please write again.

But note that I still have no idea what you mean by delegate ns1 and ns2.

You have to create nameservers ns1 and ns2 at your registrar; you say you did that.

Then each domain has to be told to use ns1 and ns2.

And you must have A records for ns1.example.com and for ns2.example.com, in the example.com zone file.

Jeff

You have to create nameservers ns1 and ns2 at your registrar; you say you did that.

Then each domain has to be told to use ns1 and ns2.

And you must have A records for ns1.example.com and for ns2.example.com, in the example.com zone file.

That's OK, I have done all of that.

But note that I still have no idea what you mean by delegate ns1 and ns2.

Sorry Jeff, I will try again. I didn't mean delegating ns1 and ns2, but the second level domain. So if I create nameservers ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net at my register, do I then have to also tell xyz.net to use ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net as its nameservers. So apart from creating nameservers, does the nameserver domain name also has to point to itself? That sounds like the chicken or the egg situation, but I didn't really find a clear answer to that anywhere.

Last edited:
If xyz.net uses ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net as nameservers then yes, you have to create NS records for ns1 and for ns2 in your xyz.net zone, and you have to tell your xyz.net registrar that you're using the ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net nameservers for the xyz.net domain.

It would be chicken-or-egg except that when you register ns1.xyz.net and ns2.xyz.net with your xyz.net registrar, then you're creating glue records in the .net gtld servers.

Jeff

Right, thanks for that, I am starting to understand now. :) Its actually working now as well!

If I had a second server with directadmin installed, that second server could not then share the same domain for dns with my first server. So for example I can't have ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com on directadmin-server-1 and ns3.xyz.com and ns4.xyz.com on directadmin-server-2. I would instead have to use a different domain for the dns on the second server or manage the dns records outside of directadmin?

You could spread your nsX.domain.com nameservers across as many servers as you want.

What you can't do, at this point in time, is use DA tools to manage domain names on multiple servers.

We run a nameserver on a network in Texas, USA, where we do slave DNS for multiple DA servers.

Jeff

The ProBIND project is dead, however take a look here for the ongoing ProBIND2 project.

no problem. didn't want you to get bogged down by the various bugs that plague ProBIND such as the import script :)

I read this. and have a question

I have set up my domein chatz4u.com as a dns server

make a a record @ my registert

ns1.chatz4u.com 80.69.68.216
ns2.chatz4u.com 80.69.68.219

And add the DSN ns1.chatz4u.com and ns2.chatz4u.com at my IPs by DA

I add at the justchat.nl the NS ns1.chatz4u.com and ns2.chatz4u.com

I think now it most work, but not.

If check with this down, it dont work.

http://www.nic.nl/sidn/flat/Domeinn...69.68.219&second2=&second2_ip=&submit=Verzend

I get the error

errors=2, warnings=0, informational=0

* domein justchat.nl.

* nameserver ns1.chatz4u.com./80.69.68.216

E server is NOT 'authoritative' for justchat.nl.

* nameserver ns2.chatz4u.com./80.69.68.219

E server is NOT 'authoritative' FOR justchat.nl

am i doing something wrong?

According to a whois lookup, the authoritative servers for your domain are:

ns15.zoneedit.com 69.10.134.195
ns18.zoneedit.com 65.125.227.35

You have to change this at your registrar, where the domain is registered.

Jeff

already fixed. there was a typo in my record.

but that is a DNS CHECKUP
To check if the DNS is working. before you move your domein too that DNS server. if there not oke. your not allowd to setup a NL domein.

but its working. now i can move it to my server. thnkz

Back