Downloading .GZ files in Firefox and IE on Windows Vista

topdog

Verified User
Hi,
I'm on Windows Vista 32 bit home Premium. For web browsers, I'm using IE7 and the latest version of Firefox, version 3.6.2.
When I'm logged in as a user under DirectAdmin 1.35.1, and click on SQL management, and click download, under a database name to download the .gz file, both IE and Firefox open up the .GZ file as if it were text.
How can I have IE and firefox download these files, just as they would download say a .tar.gz file?
For the server I'm on, which it is running CentOS 5.4 32-bit, PHP 5.2.13, MySQL 5.1.45, Apache 2.2.15, I've added the mime-type of
application/x-zip-compressed
To /etc/mime.types and restarted Apache. IE and firefox show the same behavior even after an Apache restart, insisting that they should open the .GZ file as if it were a regular ascii text file, and I do need to download these .GZ files...
Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Modifying Apache is not going to affect the way the DirectAdmin control panel works.

Right click on the file and select save as or save link as.

Modifying Apache is not going to affect the way the DirectAdmin control panel works.

Right click on the file and select save as or save link as.
hello again,
I still have the same issue with downloading files ending in just .gz.
I tried using the Lynx web browser from shell, and the lynx browser does the same as IE and Firefox, it opens the page as if it were an HTML document.
right-clicking in IE gives an option to save target as, but the save as type says to save it as an HTML file and not a .gz file.
What then would anyone's suggestions be next? Completely reformat the server box then reinstall DA?
If not a format, then what? Because if you're suppose to be able to download these .gz files as indicated by the download links located under the DB names in MySQL management, something must then be corrupt in my DA software somewhere...

Last edited:
is there any custom http config or .htaccess files in the web site config?

sometimes playing around with apache's "RemoveHandler" in <Directory> can make a file show source.

Perhaps try the files on another temporary site and see if it does the same thing.

Last edited:
I think he is having trouble downloading the backup .gz file from MySQL Management. In that case its not in a "web site." Its DirectAdmin's handler that is not doing right for some reason.

He could move the gz file to his web site and try downloading from there to see if Apache does the same thing as DA.

I think he is having trouble downloading the backup .gz file from MySQL Management. In that case its not in a "web site." Its DirectAdmin's handler that is not doing right for some reason.

He could move the gz file to his web site and try downloading from there to see if Apache does the same thing as DA.
Thanks for that clarification Floyd. I am certainly having trouble downloading the backup .gz files under MySQL management. Unfortunately, you said that I could move the GZ file to my site? I can't even save it to my hard drive, so where would those be? Or could I make a GZ file to test with tar perhaps?
And I believe someone earlier replied saying something about custom HTTP configuration and .htaccess; the only custom configuration I have is loading a configuration file called Mod_Mono.conf for Asp.net support, and a custom virtual_host2.conf file in /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom.
As far as .htaccess files go, however, in /var/www and subsequent directories underneeth that, there are no .htaccess files present.

Unfortunately, you said that I could move the GZ file to my site?

You can do this with the File Manager. You can even try to download the backup with the File Manager.

Hello folks,
Just to eas my mind regarding this GZ problem, I tried downloading a database backup called test.gz on another server. This server was running DirectAdmin 1.34.4, and the file download dialog box came up as normal. I tried again on my server which is running DA 1.35.1, and the GZ file opens as if it's an HTML file in IE.
I looked in /var/www and associated directories, and there are no .htaccess files. As well, I rewrote all Apache configuration files to reset Apache configuration back to normal defaults, and I still encounter the same problem of GZ files opening up as if they were HTML files.
Is this something worth reporting as a bug with DA 1.35.1? Or what would be anyone's suggestion?

I looked in /var/www and associated directories, and there are no .htaccess files. As well, I rewrote all Apache configuration files to reset Apache

As I have stated previously this has nothing to do with Apache if you are downloading form the DirectAdmin control panel.

Is this something worth reporting as a bug with DA 1.35.1?

I am using 1.35.1 and the download works.

So it has nothing to do with Apache, ok.
I then don't see why it doesn't work. You can't say that it's an IE issue; because it worked on DA 1.34.4.
What then would be a recommendation? I don't exactly feel like reinstalling DA for one issue, as the rest of DA works fine.

A question then. If I did reinstall DA by rerunning install.sh, would it wipe all directadmin data and user accounts?
If not, I may just reinstall it, with same settings.
Or would you suggest I go ahead and freshly reinstall DA from a server format.

You can't say that it's an IE issue; because it worked on DA 1.34.4.

Nor did I suggest that it was an IE issue.

What then would be a recommendation?

I already recommended trying to download a .gz file with the File Manager and then try to do it from your web site. You have not told us the results of that.

Contact DirectAdmin support.

If I did reinstall DA by rerunning install.sh, would it wipe all directadmin data and user accounts?

It will wipe out a lot of stuff. Maybe not every single thing but enough to make your life miserable.

Nor did I suggest that it was an IE issue.

I already recommended trying to download a .gz file with the File Manager and then try to do it from your web site. You have not told us the results of that.

Contact DirectAdmin support.
Suppose I mist that message about downloading a GZ file, apologies. I was saying in general, folks suggested that it may be an IE issue, it was not directed at you exactly Floid.
I'll make a .gz file with gzip and try and download it and post the results.
Thanks for the help thus far.

I was saying in general, folks suggested that it may be an IE issue

You are the only one that said anything about IE in this thread.

Where I am going with my suggestion is that if the same thing happens in both cases (downloading from File Manager and from your website) then its probably your computer because your website is being served by Apache and File Manager is being served by DirectAdmin. It is highly unlikely that both Apache and DirectAdmin would get misconfigured in the same way.

I've successfully created a .gz file. It downloaded fine when I went to my website, but still opens as an HTML file when I download it with the DA file manager.

As Floyd already wrote, you should probably contact DirectAdmin support.

Jeff

As Floyd already wrote, you should probably contact DirectAdmin support.

Jeff
I will. I just figured I'd post the results of my downloading a file of type .gz with Apache, as I forgot to do that.

GZ Download Problem Resolved

Hello folks,
A big hats off to DirectAdmin support for finally helping me resolve this problem.
DirectAdmin reads it's mime types from /etc/mime.types.
/etc/mime.types needs to be chmod 644, and the following line must exist somewhere in the file for files of type .gz:
application/x-gzip gz tgz
That for some reason wasn't present in my /etc/mime.types file, or otherwise that file was replaced without that mime type, and putting that line in above resolved the issue.
Thanks for everyone's help with this issue.

Back