Verified User
question about how make acl_connect test if the host is local or remote
if yes delay would be 0s else 3s

begin acl

acl_connect:
accept hosts = *
delay = 3s

thanks

Maybe I understand the request differently, but I think it would be a good idea to differentiate the delay based on whether a sender is authenticated or not.

EDIT. It's not possible to do any of these checks before acl_smtp_rcpt

Last edited:
As user interfasys points out, you can't tell at connect time if a sender is going to authenticate or not. Which is why I recommend nolisting, which works through mx; local connections don't use mx.

Jeff

As user interfasys points out, you can't tell at connect time if a sender is going to authenticate or not. Which is why I recommend nolisting, which works through mx; local connections don't use mx.

Jeff

the fact that we cant manage the delay of acl_connect between local users and remote is more a "performance problem" then a lack of security...

but adding every local users in the whitelist of a web server would seriously a security problem same as the ...
accept hosts = *
delay = 0s

and a serious pain to do when you have 12 servers with +-500 users each

with a custom configuration that permit
accept hosts = external hosts
delay = 3s
this would be only went you setup/update a new/old server... thats it

and about authentication...
mailing list send by local user from there web hosting will be send using apache user which have no authentication...

Last edited:
How would you recommend getting a list of external hosts? I presume you mean for every host except the server's hostname.

Note that we get similar (better? I think so) results using nolisting; it's unlikely I'd switch to a delay, but I could include it (untested) for others depending on how you'd look it up.

I just don't feel like keeping every connection from outside open for three seconds; I believe that would cause an increase in server load, while with nolisting (lowest-cost MX to a server without port 25 open) there's no extra load at all.

Jeff

How would you recommend getting a list of external hosts? I presume you mean for every host except the server's hostname.

Note that we get similar (better? I think so) results using nolisting; it's unlikely I'd switch to a delay, but I could include it (untested) for others depending on how you'd look it up.

I just don't feel like keeping every connection from outside open for three seconds; I believe that would cause an increase in server load, while with nolisting (lowest-cost MX to a server without port 25 open) there's no extra load at all.

Jeff

im not sure at all about this but maybe something like

accept hosts = trusted_users : localhost
delay = 0s

or something similar but functional...lol

I'm confused as to what nolisting has to do with anything in this case...

After a sender has passed the nolisting test by identifying the correct mail server to connect to it will still get delayed by 3 seconds, like everybody else.

If one wants to make the difference between authorized senders and the rest, I suggest creating a rule that uses +auth_relay_hosts and the port that is in use if you manage to force your user to use a different port. Works like a charm.

After a sender has passed the nolisting test by identifying the correct mail server to connect to it will still get delayed by 3 seconds, like everybody else.

If one wants to make the difference between authorized senders and the rest, I suggest creating a rule that uses +auth_relay_hosts and the port that is in use if you manage to force your user to use a different port. Works like a charm.

apache is not a authenticated user so i think +auth_relay_hosts is not enough

We use nolisting instead of a 3 second delay, not along with a 3 second delay.

I'm sorry if I was confusing.

Jeff

Back