DA on XEN VPS port 2222

wildun

Verified User
Hi All,
I am new to vps hosting so bare with me and after this on day 2. I have hypervn with xen up and running. I created a vps with the default xen centos 5 template and installed DA on it. The ip for the server shows apache running ( 97.89.188.132) but when I try access it using port 2222 can't connect. I have the port open with the main centos os firewall and selinux turned off as root but it appears to still be blocked to the vps. Best I can tell the minimal centos os does not have a firewall as iptable commands say not installed. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Paul

The first thing you're missing is that apache doesn't run on port 2222. Check to make sure your directadmin daemon is running.

Jeff

Hi,
Sorry if I was unclear. Apache is running on port 80 as it should be. The problem is accessing Directadmin on port 2222 via the ip it is installed on. The port is open on the main OS. I can access the xen panel on it's respective port 8887. I'm trying to determine if possibly XEN has the port 2222 blocked and if so how to get it opened. As I said I'm new to XEN and have not been able to find anything that says the port would be blocked by it or not. I posted in the general topic as it is not a direct DA issue, but it involves DA.
Thanks,
Paul

I dont see how it would be any different then if it was a standalone server. Check iptables.

/sbin/service iptables stop

Then see if you still have the problem.

I'm going to rebuild the vps with a different os template and renstall DA as I see an issue that DA pid is running but DA is dead. The stop command will not kill the pid. Rebooting the vps does not kill the pid. I used the default centos template for the vps originally. I'll post back with the results.

The pid notification is only that a file exists. You can (and when it's out of sync you probably should) delete the file. Since it's only a record of the current process ID(s) running for the daemon, it doesn't hurt to delete it if the daemon isn't running.

We're begnning to experiment with Xen VPS systems; on the one we've rented to work with, port 2222 goes through properly. We won't have our own for another month or so, so we won't have further information until it's up and running. Perhaps someone else will before then.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Rebuilding the vps and using a different centos xen template worked. For some reason the default xen centos template would not work with Directadmin. For informational purposes this is what worked for me.

I got this template from the xen site centos-5-i386-default-5.5-20100514.tar.gz
On the first attempt to install DA I found I needed additional items installed.
yum install gcc

yum install gcc-c++

/usr/sbin/pwconv

yum install make

yum install perl

yum install flex

wget http://www.directadmin.com/setup.sh

chmod 755 setup.sh

./setup.sh

After the installation was complete I cheated and copied my iptables file from my other DA server into it's respective place on the vps. There was no existing iptables file.
service iptables restart

DA is up and running like a champ.

Generally Xen templates don't include enough; they're fairly barebone. But that's a good thing. When I work on xen (I'm experimenting with it) I need to add a lot more.

Not having a default iptables file is a good thing, since most people who use the default frind themselves locking a lot out that they really need. I still recommend the KISS firewall (search these forums) to manage iptables, instead of a static file.

Jeff

Back